60d 7D proof - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 8th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: 60d 7D proof

Will someone with H4n experience give their advice here? I believe this tends to be the preferred choice of many DSLR shooters for audio capture.

I actually used Beachtek's DXA-SLR audio adapter for some time, which I used to capture audio directly to the camera. I got great results with this--it's got an AGC-disable button which you can use with the T2i. I sold it in time because I was using a second camera for my shoots--a V1U, which has it's own XLR inputs--and I just recorded my audio to this camera. I put the money towards lenses.

Beachtek and JuicedLink have some really good options for recording directly to the cameras, but it seems that the H4n is a popular choice. Hopefully someone here can tell you more. Either way, with a DSLR you're gonna have to invest in some sort of external audio option.

I think choosing the T2i is a wise choice. Put the monies you save toward good audio and LENSES...GOOD, FAST LENSES. THESE are what make your video kick.
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #17
Major Player

The most important factor

If you're doing video, the Magic Lantern firmware is totally essential. If you don't know about it, look it up.

There is a version for 5D Mk II, 60D, 600D, 550D. There is -no version for 7D-, and never will be due to Canon's firmware protection.

This fact alone makes a 7D out of the question for video. Any of the other cameras would be fine, although i would go for 60D's more robust size, light weight, feature set, ergonomics and articulating screen.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Mendoza View Post
Will someone with H4n experience give their advice here? I believe this tends to be the preferred choice of many DSLR shooters for audio capture.
I have used the H4n many times. Works very well. The cool thing is you can use the built in mics to record ambient and use the inputs for lavs or shotguns. 4-track recording!

Totally disagree with Sam as I've been using the 7D very successfully for a LONG time. A LOT of people use the 7D for video. You can see my 7D work in a bunch of current episodes on a nationally airing TV show called Guns and Gear produced by another forum member. I can name about half a dozen guys in my area that shoot 7D. Magic Lantern may be nice but is certainly not essential.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Yah, the Magic Lantern Firmware is definitely a great tool to have, but it's not necessarily a necessity, as you can certainly get your video and audio just fine without it.
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Re: The most important factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kanter View Post
If you're doing video, the Magic Lantern firmware is totally essential. If you don't know about it, look it up.
That is just rubbish. We have been shooting video for 2.5 years on the 5DII on stock firmware. There are plenty of people who find it too unstable & not really useful e.g. Philip Bloom & Dan Chung to name two well known DSLR video shooters. The features in Magic Lantern if it were stable are nice to have but not essential.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #21
Major Player

Tariq, the 60D feels much more like a pro piece of equipment. The t2i felt like a toy to me. I just didn't feel confident that it would hold up...
Bill
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #22
Inner Circle

@Tariq: It's a mistake to judge these various cameras based on strictly what comes out of the sensor. Be wary of image comparisons..especially after compression to the web. There are differences in how hard or easy those shots were arrived at. Also, when there are differences in the sensor, understand that the better cameras will operate in a wider range of light, DOF etc. so a comparison in a situation within the performance range of the lesser camera isn't that conclusive. So be aware at how features affect how hard or easy or reliable or consistently it is to get the footage you want in focus, stable, and well exposed.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Yah, I agree with Bill, which is why I ultimately went with the 60D. However I know plenty of T2i owners who've had much success with their cam....and were very careful with them (it's certainly possible, just don't go banging it around).

If you're pressed for money, go with the T2i and put the bulk of your money towards lenses; if not, try the 60D.

Either way, this'll be a fun time for you.
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
Hi All, after a lot of reading I feel that the 60D would be a great camera for my wedding business, my only real concern is the 7D. I can not afford to make the wrong decision and I was wondering if anybody could show a video example of where the 7D out performs the 60D.
The success of your business has absolutely -zero- to do with the camera you choose. If you can't make your wedding business work with a $400 handicam, you couldn't make it work with an F3 either. If you think having a tiny tiny bit of extra sharpness will make a difference to your client, it won't. The only "wrong" decision you'll make is not learning how to use the tools in your toolbox properly.

Bottom line... the camera is the least important piece of gear you'll ever own. Buy whatever is cheapest and spend the money on important gear like good wireless mics and tripods.
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #25
Regular Crew

DSLR's definitely have their limitations...a slew of them! They are most definitely not meant for the standard run-n-gun style. They're awkward, they lack standard, crucial video camera functions and accessories, thus you're shelling out more money just to accessorize it...into a big clunky mess. Then you have to learn to shoot with them, yourself acting as your own focus puller. Subjects constantly coming in and out of focus. It's a nightmare!

IT'S NOT A VIDEO CAMERA.

And yet....when you see what's possible with this rig, and a LOT of research and practice...you understand why so many, despite all the massive hurdles, have resorted to this as their weapon of choice. I think most (if not all) DSLR shooters will tell you countless horror stories of using the DSLR, particularly for events like weddings. But find out how many of them abandoned the idea, and how many continued to embrace the challenge in efforts to achieve the ultimate image, especially given the client reaction. Just look at all the results in this forum or online. They speak for themselves.

Last edited by Edward Mendoza; August 9th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Edward Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I have the 7D and the 60D. I rather use the 60D. Enough said?
Jeffrey Fuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #27
Wrangler

Quote:
I have the 7D and the 60D. I rather use the 60D. Enough said?
Not really, no.
A more useful post would include an explanation of who you are, what you shoot, and why you'd rather use your 60D.
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Mendoza View Post
If you're pressed for money, go with the T2i and put the bulk of your money towards lenses; if not, try the 60D.
The T3i/600D is a better camera than the T2i/550D as it has an articulated screen, manual audio control & HD 3x crop mode.

Last edited by Nigel Barker; August 10th, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #29
Trustee

If you have the budget, a used HDV or EX1 is a much better option for weddings. Why don't you rent a DSLR for a day and try shooting with it? It's not everyone's cup of tea.
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
If you have the budget, a used HDV or EX1 is a much better option for weddings.
if it's one camera shoot - absolutely, power zoom, XLR, AF, IS, no clip length limit,
live event video with one DSLR = 30% missed shots, but if it's second/third cam considering price/quality ratio it's priceless;

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD