DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   60d 7D proof (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/499328-60d-7d-proof.html)

Tariq Peter August 7th, 2011 07:27 PM

60d 7D proof

Hi All, after a lot of reading I feel that the 60D would be a great camera for my wedding business, my only real concern is the 7D. I can not afford to make the wrong decision and I was wondering if anybody could show a video example of where the 7D out performs the 60D. Every video I watch shows pretty much identical shots but I would really like to see maybe high speed footage to see where the 7d excels. I do know that the auto focus is better and a few other things but I will hardly use the cam for anything but video. Thank you.

Les Wilson August 7th, 2011 09:13 PM

Re: 60d 7D proof

Doesn't the metal body 7D outperform the plastic body 60d in the drop test?

How about prestige performance?

Isn't the 7d a better performer in low light?

Then again, the 60D has the flip out screen. What's more important to you?

Justin Molush August 7th, 2011 09:15 PM

It has the flip out screen and gain control.

As far as image quality there is no major discernable difference.

John Wiley August 7th, 2011 09:27 PM

The video quality is exacty the same. Anybody who says otherwise is just trying to justify the extra money they spent on the 7D.

Many people will say the 60D is actually a better choice for video because of the articulating LCD & the reduced tendancy to overheat. Unless you really need the better photo features, the 60D will probably be the best choice for you.

Robert Turchick August 7th, 2011 09:56 PM

The 7D has full HD out the hdmi during recording. Don't know if the 60d does that.
I don't really use that feature all that much but the times where my client has wanted to view the shot, it's been really nice.
As for photos, the burst mode is way higher on the 7D due to it's dual processors. I love that feature and couldn't go back to a slower camera.
Video quality is virtually identical on all the crop sensor cameras. I moved up from a T2i and you really can't tell the difference video-wise. The image controls on the 7D are much better than the t2i. Don't know if the 60D has the same controls or if you lose some of the fine control.
The body on the 7D is built to take abuse. The 60D isn't. I shoot a lot of outdoor vid here in hell, I mean Phoenix and have only seen the overheat light a couple of times when I wasn't careful about putting a towel over it between takes.
Its really a budget thing as quality of the image is not different. If it means you can pick up an extra lens then the 60D is it. Make that lens a 50mm f1.4!

Thanh Nguyen August 7th, 2011 10:26 PM

If you trade me your 7d body for my 60d + 50f1.4. I won't do it and I don't have to think about it(on video POV). Enough said

Tariq Peter August 8th, 2011 02:21 AM

Are the memory cards also cheaper for the 60d? In terms of the auto focus does it the work the same as a camcorder where you simply flick a switch and everything is in focus or is their more to it on a dslr?

Gianni Paolella August 8th, 2011 02:50 AM

Autofofus?..forget about this 60d and 7d are dslr and they born to take picture....also video for secondary way,there is not autofocus,no gain but iso,wb is not good as in videocamera,but if you have time to make all the good regolation it need you will take good pics much more than a videocamera prosumer...but forget run and gun with dslr or use it atva main camera in wedding or reportage.

Nigel Barker August 8th, 2011 07:34 AM

If you don't want to pay the extra for the 7D's metal body & weather-sealing then the 600D (T2i) is currently the best value Canon DSLR. Video quality is identical as with all the canon DSLRs that use the 18Mpixel APS-C sensor. It has a plastic body, the articulating screen & manual audio controls of the 60D, uses the same SDHC cards & apart from being a bit smaller the only difference is that it uses LP-E8 batteries rather than the LP-E6 batteries that the 60D shares with the 7D & 5D Mk II. It is currently about £200 cheaper than the 60D. I bought a 600D to use alongside my 5DII & think that it's a great camera especially coupled with the Canon 17-55mm F/2.8 IS EF-S lens (which cost more than the 600D). The battery grip bulks up the feel of the camera & this Polaroid one that costs just over £70 has an LCD clock display & can be used as an intervalometer for time lapse sequences.

Buba Kastorski August 8th, 2011 08:06 AM

My 7D is in the bag as a back up since I bought 60D, it has flip LCD - can't be more happy, awesome feature, AND it doesn't overheat, which was the main reason I tried 60D, I love it, and if anyone will tell you they can tell 7D photo from 60D that's BS,
OK, 60D has only one Digic4, but the only difference in performance between 7D and 60D I see is a longer battery life on 60D

Edward Mendoza August 8th, 2011 11:45 AM

Tariq,

There is no difference between the video of the 60D and 7D (or the T2i for that matter); they all have the same performance. You're no better off with one over the other in terms of the image quality. The price difference between the three (I'm going to include the T2i in this) involves a combination of build quality, processors, and still photography features.

1. T2i - If you're going to predominantly use your camera for video and you're looking to save some bucks for some good lenses, go with this option. It's equivalent to the 60D and 7d in many ways (APS-C sensor, 18 megapixel, 1080 vid). It doesn't have a comparable build and look as the 60D and 7D, but the final video output will be the same.

2. 60D - Same great output as the T2i and 7D, with some notable differences. First and foremost, the articulating screen, a HUGE feature for the videographer looking to shoot at different angles. Secondly, manual audio control--you can disable your AGC (Automatic Gain Control) when using external audio devices; this prevents the camera from automatically trying to "follow" unpredictable audio. Third (and not as crucial), build quality and look are more impressive, getting up there with the big-boy DSLR's. This camera literally lies right in the middle, as a great option for video and a nice starter cam for still photography. (NOTE: LCD screen outputs Standard Definition when you are recording in Video mode like the T2i.)

3. 7D - Again, same great output, with most differences lying in its photographic features. The one major difference in regards to video is the camera's dual processor, which allows the camera to output High Definition when recording in video mode. This is EXTREMELY CRUCIAL when using DSLR's for video because of the constant manual focusing. It's very tough to get a good focus when looking at an SD screen as opposed to an HD one. As far as the build, it's definitely the toughest of the bunch. This is the most expensive of the group (this camera excels mainly as a still camera), and you have to ask yourself if the HD feature and build quality is worth the extra bunch if you're not really going to use it for photography.

By the way, if you're looking for great auto-focus features in your DSLR, then you should probably not be considering moving to DSLR videography. This type of shooting is not like using the standard auto video cameras. Shooters move to this to accomplish the much-desired shallow-depth-of-field film look. Video cameras have lenses and features built to capture everything in your frame. Auto-controls will give you a hard time in selectively choosing your subjects of focus in frame. This is a different way of shooting and that's something you'll have to think about. Ask any videographer and they'll tell you how difficult it is to adjust.

Hope this helps....

Tariq Peter August 8th, 2011 12:03 PM

Many many Thanks.

I think the 60D is the one for me after reading all the posts, if I were to record a clip and wanted to play it back would I be able to notice quite easily if the subject is out of focus because the last thing I want is to think I have great piece of footage only to find out when playing it back that my subject is slightly out of focus.

Edward Mendoza August 8th, 2011 12:16 PM

Tariq, I'll be very honest. I can't tell you how many times I've recorded or photographed something that looked quite sharp on the LCD in playback only to find that it was slightly out of focus when I play it on my computer at home.

I shoot on a 60D and I'm currently purchasing a 7-inch LCD monitor (with an HDMI input) to mount on the camera via an articulating arm. It's often tough to assess your focus with a small, SD picture. So I'm going with a bigger monitor; albeit the picture will still be in SD but at least I've got a bigger, better view of it (which, oddly enough, negates the whole built-in articulating screen thing).

I'm a budget kinda guy and I hate spending the extra money ($200) but this was definitely a necessity.

Bill Grant August 8th, 2011 02:05 PM

5D & 60D

5D & 7D

I would defy you to pick out the 7D and 60D shots vs. the 5D.
I chose the 60D because of the articulating screen. (I borrowed the 7D)
Only difference I see is a slight bit more noise on the 60D in low light. But both are light years away from video cameras.
Bill

Tariq Peter August 8th, 2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Mendoza (Post 1673421)
Tariq, I'll be very honest. I can't tell you how many times I've recorded or photographed something that looked quite sharp on the LCD in playback only to find that it was slightly out of focus when I play it on my computer at home.

I shoot on a 60D and I'm currently purchasing a 7-inch LCD monitor (with an HDMI input) to mount on the camera via an articulating arm. It's often tough to assess your focus with a small, SD picture. So I'm going with a bigger monitor; albeit the picture will still be in SD but at least I've got a bigger, better view of it (which, oddly enough, negates the whole built-in articulating screen thing).

I'm a budget kinda guy and I hate spending the extra money ($200) but this was definitely a necessity.

ok so lets say I went for the T2i and purchased a 7-Inch Screen as the video will be pretty much the same, what options do I have to record the best possible sound on the T2i?

There is no real point paying the extra for the 60D if I am going to use an external screen it’s just the agc that is the issue. My question is it worth the extra money to get the 60D to solve the audio issue or is there a cheaper way to solve it with the T2i?