600D questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 25th, 2011, 04:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

600D questions

I am traveling to India in a few months to shoot some docos but I don't want to travel with my EX1 so I am looking at getting a DSLR to shoot them. The 600D looks like it would suit my purposes but I don't know much about the video side of the camera. I have shot on the 5D many times, and I am not expecting the same results with the 600D. Howwever there are a few things that I am unsure about Does anyone know whether the lack of the wheel at the back for exposure makes a big difference in exposing while recording? Will the exposure obviously bracket and is it more difficult to expose using the buttons? secondly, will a shotgun mic plug into the camera? And thirdly, has Magic Lantern perfected their firmware for the 600D yet?

Apologies if my post makes no sense as I am typing on my iPad while watching Big Bang Theory and shouting at the kids to do their nightly chores
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: 600D questions

Hi Shaun,

Regarding the exposure, it will be obvious when you adjust exposure. Whether you change iris, exposure, or ISO, it will jump noticeably. The 2nd wheel certainly makes things easier but it's not a big issue not having one. Once you get used to the button layout you'll be fine. It'll only slow you down by half a second each time.

You can plug in a shotgun mic, and there is even very basic audio control with ACG disable and level control (though with very imprecise adjustment). You also get audio level meters on screen but only during preview and not once recording starts.

Magic Lantern works on the 600D, but without the Audio features found on the 550D/60D. I think the only thing it add's for audio is the meters while recording, but pretty much every thing esle is working similarly to the other camera version (ie it's not totally stable but is pretty good).
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I have been shooting video with a 5DII for more than 2.5 years & just got a 600D/T3i to supplement it. It feels absolutely great in my hands just like a baby 5DII. All the controls & menus are immediately obvious if you are used to the 5DII. The lack of a second control wheel is no big deal. The video is pretty much indistinguishable from that recorded on the 5DII except at ISO 1600+. Obviously because of the crop mode you lose at the wide end but do gain at the long end. If you are travelling light then the 3X HD crop mode will be a boon as it effectively gives you another telephoto lens for free. The perfect lens for this camera is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8L IS which with the 3X crop mode will cover most of the range that you will want to use.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Listen to Nigel on this one. He advised me on that same camera and lens and I've been very happy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD