samyang 35mm 1.4 m/f at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 31st, 2011, 02:06 AM   #1
Trustee

samyang 35mm 1.4 m/f

Hi Guys, since my last shoot I am desperate for a better low light lens, the 1.8 just did not do it for me! Samyang just brought out the new 35mm 1.4 manual focus and there are no real reviews yet? Money is tight, so has anyone got this lens or should I just go get the Sigma 30mm 1.4? Steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: samyang 35mm 1.4 m/f

I loved my 30mm when I had it. It was my go to lens.

I can't comment on the Samyang but I'd check out some Vimeo and Youtube vids. It is a manual focus lens which is great for saving money (Compared to getting the Canon 35 L) but you might be good with the Sigma.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Would some still samples be of use?

Samyang 35mm F1.4 UMC - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Jason and jim!! I will bid on both of them the pics looks great on the samyang but i suppose the 30mm sigma better for video!! steve
Old September 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Trustee

All the 'unnofficial' reviews I've seen have raved about how good it is. The other option I would consider is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which is around the same price range.

F/1.4 is almost a full stop faster than a 1.8 which will help a lot in lowlight, but I can't help but think that if f/1.8 is not bright enough, then perhaps you should add some lights?

I actually witnessed a funny moment at a school concert today - a mother was trying to take a photo, and kept reviewing them and saying "It's realy dark," to which 5 year old child said "maybe you should turn on some more lights." I thought it was funny that the solution seems so obvious to a 5-year-old child, while others run around worrying about fast lenses, high ISO performance, etc.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Major Player

I have the Sigma 30/1.4 which I use for stills and video, and love it.

I am interested in the Samyang/Rokinon/Vivitar 35/1.4 for stills, and as a second lens - I have 2 7D's & a 600D/T3i. All the reviews I've seen of it, for both video and stills is that it's a very fine lens.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
All the 'unnofficial' reviews I've seen have raved about how good it is. The other option I would consider is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which is around the same price range.

F/1.4 is almost a full stop faster than a 1.8 which will help a lot in lowlight, but I can't help but think that if f/1.8 is not bright enough, then perhaps you should add some lights?

I actually witnessed a funny moment at a school concert today - a mother was trying to take a photo, and kept reviewing them and saying "It's realy dark," to which 5 year old child said "maybe you should turn on some more lights." I thought it was funny that the solution seems so obvious to a 5-year-old child, while others run around worrying about fast lenses, high ISO performance, etc.
There's a myriad of situations where more light is impossible. Give me the faster lens every day of the week.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Regular Crew

i got one,and i love it..prefered samyang 35mm to sigma 30mm considering i can use for fullframe as well
Viswanadha Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:04 AM   #9
Trustee

Thanks guys, cheers ye i dont want to use a light, i have numerous clients saying get it out of her face and then to much hassle carting lights around, the 1.8 not bad but i think the two in mention would give me that extra... Mmmmmm if i go full frame next year? maybe the 35mm then, steve
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Trustee

Here's a little flip/flop comparison between shooting with EX1R, FS100 with Samyang 35mm and Canon 5dMkII 50mm:

Hopefully lots more to share soon.
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Hi Guys, since my last shoot I am desperate for a better low light lens, the 1.8 just did not do it for me! Samyang just brought out the new 35mm 1.4 manual focus and there are no real reviews yet? Money is tight, so has anyone got this lens or should I just go get the Sigma 30mm 1.4? Steve

A 1.8 wasn't fast enough for you? I've shot in a room lit up only by a television with a 1.8 and it did pretty good.
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #12
Trustee

Edward it just did not cut the mustard, to much grain in a dark room filled with guests, shutter 50, iso 3200, in focus, 50mm 1.8 at 1,8!! I could have dropped the shutter to 30 but to much jekiness going on!! Dont want to use light? So next step 30mm or the 35mm, 1.4??

Matt no sound coming from the link you posted? steve
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Shooting at 3200 iso? That must be noisy as hell! Hhmmm, the samyang sounds tempting... I need to check it out myself.
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Matt no sound coming from the link you posted? steve
LOL - should have repeated the note that's in the Vimeo summary: 'this video is mute'!

(We were gassing on about all sorts of trivial stuff, plus there was non-licensable music playing in the background)
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Here's a little flip/flop comparison between shooting with EX1R, FS100 with Samyang 35mm and Canon 5dMkII 50mm:

Samyang 35mm f1.4 compared with EX1 and Canon 50mm on Vimeo

Hopefully lots more to share soon.
The Samyang looks so favorable in that comparison. Was the 50 1.4 on the Canon shot at perhaps a stop too dark? (It just doesn't stack up as well as the others in this particular shot -- almost as if lighting conditions were a tick darker). Interesting comparison.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD