DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   UV filter recommendation for 60D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/500521-uv-filter-recommendation-60d.html)

John Gerard September 9th, 2011 04:07 PM

UV filter recommendation for 60D

Hi,
I just got the canon 60D and I want to get an UV filter. Basically to protect the front of the lens. I have the 18-200 Ef-S lens. I have been doing a little research and it looks like I am down to either the Hoya hmc UV filter or one of the B + W filters. I have read that there are two issues with the Hoya.
1 - The Hoya has aluminum threads and it is easy to cross thread when taking it on and off.
2 - hard to clean.

My other criteria is no vignetting and as little as possible light loss?

If you recommend the B + W more can you supply the filter model number.
I have used on my Canon10d and my Sony FX-7 just the cheep Tiffen UV lens filters. I don't see any problems with it not being high quality. The images look very crisp and clear. But then again I have never really played around with filters. The Tiffen does sometime miss thread but that has not been a big issue for me since I don't take it on and off very much and I am very careful to have a light touch not to miss thread the filter.

Thanks,

John Gerard

Bruce Foreman September 13th, 2011 11:37 AM

Re: UV filter recommendation for 60D

I have the Hoya HMC Super Multi Coated UV filter on each lens I use frequently, for two reasons. Front element lens surface protection (I've seen two cases where the filter took an impact that would have ruined the lens), and that level of Hoya's multicoating seems to significanlty reduce flare as the lens is point off axis but in the general direction of a bright light source.

I ran tests with a Canon HF100 panned 360 degrees first with a Tiffen multicoated UV (not a bad one either) and then with the Hoya HMC SMC UV. As the camera with the Hoya began to approach the direction of the morning sun, flare was noticeably reduced over the Tiffen.

When pointed directly at the axis of the sun NOTHING HELPS!

As far as "cross threading" goes, I never get in a hurry when removing or putting on anything that "threads in". Rarely do I have to remove the filter on location (only if I have to put on a wide angle adapter and having a 2nd HF100 lets me bring both on location configured for use).

I find the Hoya filter surface no harder to clean than any other. The multicoating does "grab" cleaning cloth a bit, I use CLEAN microfiber cloth with "breath moisture" most of the time. Stubborn "stuff" gets taken care of with Eclipse solution (about the purest alcohol you'll get) on a Pec Pad (the same sometimes used for sensor cleaning).

I've heard the B+W is an excellent quality filter, but I've had good luck with Hoya.

John Gerard September 13th, 2011 12:19 PM

Thank you for your thoughts. Have you compared the Hoyo Super HMC multicoated to the standard Hoyo Hmc filters? Is the Super version really worth the extra cost? One review I read didn't think so.

John Gerard

John Gerard September 13th, 2011 12:26 PM

Oh, one other small question. which model of the Hoya should I use on an 18-200mm lens so I have no vignetting?

John Gerard

Bruce Foreman September 17th, 2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Gerard (Post 1681819)
Thank you for your thoughts. Have you compared the Hoyo Super HMC multicoated to the standard Hoyo Hmc filters? Is the Super version really worth the extra cost? One review I read didn't think so.

John, I haven't run that exact comparison but I would expect the results to be somewhat similar to the tests I ran between Tiffen multilayer coated and the Hoya SMC with the "edge" going to the Hoya. Many may not be able to see the difference but I've spent most of my life heavily involved in photography and I may see slight differences others don't.

Didn't bother me to pay the extra, especially when two of the filters were going on "L" series glass. With the 7D a proper fitting filter on the "L" series lenses completes the "weather sealing".

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Gerard (Post 1681819)
Oh, one other small question. which model of the Hoya should I use on an 18-200mm lens so I have no vignetting?

I should think the "standard" should be OK. The 18mm end is like a 28mm wide on 35mm film cameras and while that is a "workhorse" wide for PJ and general illustrative work it is not particularly wide. I "get away" with a 58mm collapsible rubber lens hood on my 18-55 "kit" lenses and don't get any vignetting as long as I have the hood folded back. The metal ring it's on is longer than a filter ring or two and I'm still leaving my UV filter on.

If you have anything in that lens' filter thread size lying around, test it for vignetting.

Bruce Foreman

John Gerard September 17th, 2011 03:47 PM

At the last moment I decided to get the B & w multicoated, I think it is the f-pro. I don't have any particular reason behind the decision. Thank you for all the advice. Either one seems like a good product. It sound like a goss up to me. I did ask B&H photo theiir advice. The guy said he uses B&W filters so I went with that brand.

John Gerard