DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   600d ML bugs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/500576-600d-ml-bugs.html)

Piotr Lapinski September 11th, 2011 12:03 PM

600d ML bugs

anyone installed the new unified ml for 600d and have comparison to the 550d? i know there are charts on the ml wikia site but i want to ask if it ain't have any bugs or difficulties in installing? are there any useful functions that don't work?

Brett Sherman September 11th, 2011 02:39 PM

Re: 600d ML bugs

On my T3i once my card hit 16GB of recorded material, it basically wouldn't record any more. I continually got "Stopped Recording" messages after a second or two of hitting record. Also, I couldn't use the Technicolor profile, wouldn't record at all. Also focus magnification doesn't work in Digital Zoom mode.

I'm dropping ML for now till it's a little more stable on the T3i.

Piotr Lapinski September 11th, 2011 02:57 PM

Thanks Brett, your opinion is important to me since i can only afford one body atm, the second one in a couple of weeks and have to record some material till the second body comes along.

Anyone else?

Brett Sherman September 11th, 2011 03:08 PM

I will say that I'm not sure the problem I had with it not recording after 16 GB may not be a ML problem. I've heard others having this problem without Magic Lantern.

Brett Sherman September 11th, 2011 03:11 PM

Regardless I'd still get the 600D. The digital zoom feature is incredibly useful and allows me to shoot with a single lens - 17-55mm f/2.8. At 3X it then gives me an additional zoom range of 51-165mm.

Plus, manual audio level is great also.

Vishal Jadhav September 13th, 2011 01:00 AM

Hi,

I just installed the ML on my 600D since this was my first trial i installed it on a 4 GB class 4 SDHC card

however i notice that the Video stops recording in around 12-15 seconds.

Is this a Bug in ML ?

Or is it the Card of class 4 the culprit , i am going to try and install the same on a class 10 today evening but wanted to know your views if this too is a bug.

The thing that impressed me about the new ML of Aug 22nd for 600D is the quick magic zoom feature ( Disp + Zoom in ) this is fantastic and the 2 features i needed to shoot video on this was the magic zoom and the higher Megabits on video

Vishal Jadhav September 13th, 2011 10:45 AM

It was not a ML bug after all

I tried installing ML on a 16 GB class 10 card and it worked

guess the class 4 card is too slow to record videos at higher megabits

Bruce Foreman September 13th, 2011 11:21 AM

Class 4 is below the minimum Canon recommends. In the manual Canon plainly states Class 6 or faster is required. Canon techs have also advised some over the phone that the camera can be "brand picky". People having problems with Kingston media were advised to use SanDisk Extreme Class 6 or faster.

When those owners having problems (mostly buffer over run and recording "stopping") followed that advice their problems "went away".

James Donnelly September 22nd, 2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishal Jadhav (Post 1681806)
It was not a ML bug after all

I tried installing ML on a 16 GB class 10 card and it worked

guess the class 4 card is too slow to record videos at higher megabits

Class 4 cards vary in their performance, but they must at least support a 4MB/s transfer rate. This is too slow even for the stock bitrate, nevermind higher ones.

Even class 6 cards can struggle with the stock bitrate. Because it is a variable bitrate, you are right on the edge with some class 6 cards, and if things get busy or sensor noise goes up, you will see many fail.

If you want to use the higher bitrates in magic lantern, look for actual performance tests on the card you are going to buy. h2testw is a good tool for this testing. Look for cards that write at least 20MB/s.

Taky Cheung September 22nd, 2011 07:39 PM

The problem I have with ML and 600D is the focus peaking. Many times, it stop working by creating noise on the inner center of the screen.