T3i vs 5DMK2 (Video Only) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 27th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: T3i vs 5DMK2 (Video Only)

It had a flippy screen and it said Canon on it. It also said T3i on the front. It definitely overheated.
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #17
Trustee

In that case I have to say that you sir are the unluckiest t3i owner on the planet!This is the only report I've ever heard of a 600D/T3i (or a 60D) overheating.

Were you shooting with the stock battery? Did you have a monitor/grip/anything else plugged in? Is it reproducable? Were the any other mitigating factors (ie were you shooting in a bushfire?)?
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aronson View Post
It definitely overheated.
No offense, but it be interesting to know what 'definitely overheated' looks like too.
(I thought my 60D overheated once, but it was actually something else.)
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #19
Regular Crew

The overheating icon popped up and the screen said "Movie recording hav been stopped automatically" (or something along those lines). I was using name brand batteries without a battery grip and I was using Canon glass. The only thing I had on there was a zacuto loupe. I don't think that's the cause of it though. It may have just been a freak occurrence.

Icon: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...empwarning.png
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #20
Trustee

Were you able to start recording again immediately? Or did you need to switch the camera off and wait for a while?

Also, are you sure the icon that appeared was not the buffer icon? It looks kind of similar and I thought my 550D was overheating several times when in actual fact it was that my cards were too slow.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #21
Major Player

Yeah, same here. My card wasn't full or too slow but it was fragmented and it would stop recording once each empty space was full (always start with a clean card kids).

On the 550d the temperature warning will appear and flash for a good few seconds before recording actually stops and live view will often shut down (I can't say what the 60 does since I realised I've never actually seen it)
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #22
Major Player

I've also been using a T3i with no overheating. In California this summer. Outside. No shade.

Suggest you return this unit to the dealer or to Canon service and get a new one.

Best wishes,

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #23
Inner Circle

If the sun shines into the loupe, it can heat the camera, if not burn the LCD(!)
Old September 30th, 2011, 04:18 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aronson View Post
Where did you hear that the T3i didn't overheat? I used one for 30 mins and then it overheated. A 5D right next to it was fine for the entire day. Also, the 5D has lower noise overall compared to the T3i If I set them both to 1600 ISO, the 5D will look much better than the t3i.
Another thing you get for the cost is durability. The T3i is made of cheap plastic; the 5D is made out of magnesium. Also, The shutter life is much higher on the 5D.
I'm sorry but I'm calling BS. You must have been shooting with a T2i not a T3i. I own 2 T2is, 3 T3is, 2 60ds and my shooters both own T3is. All 5 of the T3i's have been used out in in some pretty high heat (90+ degrees) for extended events without even a hint of over heating while the T2i is overheating in about 15 minutes. The T3i is plenty robust for most shooting conditions.

EDIT: After reading the other response I think you had a buffer issue shut down recording. Overheating doesn't always shut down the camera. My t2is that overheat don't ever shut themselves off.

As far as noise at 1600... prove it. I shoot at 1600 all the time and if there's much noise it's barely noticeable. Certainly not noticeable enough to warrant spending another $2k to get a 5D.

Sorry man but you're sounding like one of the 5D evangelists who won't allow themselves to believe these little cameras (t3i, 60d, T2i) that are a fraction of the cost of a 5D can produce comparable results.
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama View Post
I'm sorry but I'm calling BS. You must have been shooting with a T2i not a T3i. I own 2 T2is, 3 T3is, 2 60ds and my shooters both own T3is. All 5 of the T3i's have been used out in in some pretty high heat (90+ degrees) for extended events without even a hint of over heating while the T2i is overheating in about 15 minutes. The T3i is plenty robust for most shooting conditions.

EDIT: After reading the other response I think you had a buffer issue shut down recording. Overheating doesn't always shut down the camera. My t2is that overheat don't ever shut themselves off.

As far as noise at 1600... prove it. I shoot at 1600 all the time and if there's much noise it's barely noticeable. Certainly not noticeable enough to warrant spending another $2k to get a 5D.

Sorry man but you're sounding like one of the 5D evangelists who won't allow themselves to believe these little cameras (t3i, 60d, T2i) that are a fraction of the cost of a 5D can produce comparable results.
Scott, I think the 5dII has about a stop less noise in that range. This is fairly predictable owing to the difference in sensor size.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Agreed. The 5D2 has a bit less noise and can be used at a slightly higher ISO. I stick with multiples of 160 though, and try to keep it at 1250 or below.

But the drop off from the 5D2 to the crop cams isn't a huge deal. The quality depends more on the shooter and scene than which Canon DSLR one owns.
Old October 1st, 2011, 12:15 AM   #27
Inner Circle

The 5DII is good for at least another stop of light as it is usable up to its maximum ISO of 3200 which can make all the difference. A 16-35mm lens is also really 16-35mm & not an effective 25-55mm. These are the two big advantages of the 5DII versus the crop sensor Canon DSLRs. Build quality may be a consideration too. I own both a 5DII & 600D/T3i & if I had to choose only one it would be the 5DII but if I were to buy another it would be the 600D.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM   #28
Major Player

No overheating here (T3i).
Old October 2nd, 2011, 01:39 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Donnelly View Post
Scott, I think the 5dII has about a stop less noise in that range. This is fairly predictable owing to the difference in sensor size.
that had nothing to do with the discussion...? The issue was the amount of noise at 1600 ISO. If there is more noise at 1600, it' isn't enough to warrant spending another 2k. And yes I agree the 5D has a 1 stop of light advantage over the T3i and other similar cameras, an again I don't think it's worth $2k for that one stop. If you are shooting in that low of light I would rather spend that money on an off camera lighting kit.
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:00 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama View Post
that had nothing to do with the discussion...? The issue was the amount of noise at 1600 ISO. If there is more noise at 1600, it' isn't enough to warrant spending another 2k. And yes I agree the 5D has a 1 stop of light advantage over the T3i and other similar cameras, an again I don't think it's worth $2k for that one stop. If you are shooting in that low of light I would rather spend that money on an off camera lighting kit.
Sorry for being so dumb Scott. I will try harder in future.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD