Canon 60d focusing in movie mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon 60d focusing in movie mode

Hi,
I am getting to know a lot about my 60d. I have a question regarding how you guys shoot video and deal with the manual focusing issue on a camera like the 60D? I have the Sony FX-7 and when I zoom in and out the came will automatically refocus. This is a very nice feature. :-) I take a lot of shots where I like to slowly zoom into my subject and then slowly zoom back out. This seems very hard to zoom and focus at the same time. Is there any techniques/ thoughts about this issue? Or is it that one just shoots in a totally different way when using a DSLR opposed to a regular video camera?
I have the Canon 10d still camera so this is my first experience using movie mode on a DSLR.

Thanks,

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Canon 60d focusing in movie mode

Focusing in general with these cameras is greatly helped with an external monitor. Works wonders.

Secondly I don't zoom when shooting video. If I need to get closer I move closer and focus as I go.

If you are shooting events where you are required to stay in one location then physically moving towards your subject isn't possible then what you have to do is get LOTS of practice zooming and tracking focus. Here again a decent external monitor will be mandatory in my opinion.
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, that's basically what I thought I would have to do. This in MHO is a major drawback to DSLRs. I have a slot loading portable DVD player that has the jacks to hook up to my camera so I can try isinglass it to practice.

John Gerard
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gerard View Post
Or is it that one just shoots in a totally different way when using a DSLR opposed to a regular video camera?
Yes. You will not be able to use a stills camera zoom lens in the way that you are used to a motor zoom on a camcorder. It's difficult to zoom smoothly, the aperture changes with some cheaper lenses & even if the lens is parfocal & stays in focus as you zoom it will probably breath. Expect to cut out the footage where you are actually zooming. A cheap loupe will aid focusing & is less unwieldy to use then bolting on an external monitor.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Yep. I realize it is not ideal but I can focus by pressing the sutter button or the AF button. You would not want to be recording at the time. I fund so far that the focusing in general takes a long time to focus some of the time.

John Gerard
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

John, I think you're missing the point of the DSLR. If you're looking for a video camera with auto-focus and easy zoom capabilities....then use a video camera. The DSLR doesn't work that way, and really isn't meant to be used that way.
Old September 18th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

LCDVF clip-on viewfinder loupe. It will allow you to look "down" into the viewfinder (like a camcorder) and can be articulated as it's attached firmly to the screen. I recommend velcro cable ties to secure it in place - a large one wrapped around the barrel of the LCDVF and a smaller one coming off the camera strap eyelet. I don't have any focusing issues with this setup (at least I have no excuse to have focusing issues...)

External monitors can work if you're tripod based, but since getting the LCDVF a few months and many shoots ago, I haven't used my Lilliput monitor.

You won't be able to store the screen facing the camera back as the magnetic frame protrudes a couple of mm from the screen, but I can live with that - the screen faces outwards like it does on any other DSLR.

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Focusing is always a challenge in DSLR movie. I have tried external monitor and LCD-VF. External LCD monitor makes my rig bulky and less portable. LCD-VF helps but still not easy to get good focus sometimes. Now with the Focus Peaking feature with magic lantern, it makes focusing a lot easier and accurate.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD