600d vs 60D low light Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #1
Major Player

600d vs 60D low light Video

Hi,

I have 2 weddings booked next month and need to buy a temporary DSLR whilst I wait for both the new VG20 from Sony and Canons announcement on Nov 3rd. I will be using the DSLR in conjunction with my XHA1. The bride really wants that DOF cinematic look to be included whilst she gets her make up done and the same with groom they also want the same effect whilst the dance the night away with all guests in a very low lit hall. I have used the 60D and was happy with the footage put what a pain it was to use it is a lot of money to spend on a DSLR especially when I am planning to upgrade. I need to buy one because the XHA1 just can't do it.

For video the 60D has
more ISO options
a control wheel which I felt was good to cycle through the options such as ISO while filming
and a longer battery life.

having not really filmed with a 600D has anybody used the two and found the 60D to be worth the extra £140
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: 600d vs 60D low light Video

Tariq,
The only difference in low light with the 60D vs. 600 should be the intermediate ISOs will give you a cleaner picture. I can't imagine a situation where $221 will really break you, and I can see many more uses for a 60d after the announcements and future tech. You won't miss the money, but bad footage is forever. :)
Bill
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I believe that I have already replied to several similar posts from you but I would buy the 600D over the 60D even if it wasn't cheaper. I don't miss the second control wheel but do appreciate the 3X HD crop mode. If I were even convinced that using 160/320/640 ISOs rather than 100/200/400/800 made any practical difference then I would load up Magic Lantern to enable these intermediate ISOs.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Trustee

Me personally!! The 60d is not that good in low light!! even with the sigma 30mm 1.4 on i still have to go to over 1600 maybe more, may as well put a light on it next time thats what im gunna do unless someone can enlighten me with a cheap light set up on stands??
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Major Player

After a LOT of googling the Canon 60D has much more than the 600D and I feel it will have a much better resale value. The 3 x HD crop mode does look great but from all the videos I have seen there is a loss in quality, I am planing to hire zoom lenses to keep the videos as shard as possible.

The advantages the 60D has are;

Larger viewfinder
More cross-type focus points
Longer battery life
Brighter Viewfinder
Shoots Faster
Less Shutter Lag
Slightly Better image quality
Faster Shutter Speed
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
After a LOT of googling the Canon 60D has much more than the 600D and I feel it will have a much better resale value. The 3 x HD crop mode does look great but from all the videos I have seen there is a loss in quality, I am planing to hire zoom lenses to keep the videos as shard as possible.

The advantages the 60D has are;

Larger viewfinder
More cross-type focus points
Longer battery life
Brighter Viewfinder
Shoots Faster
Less Shutter Lag
Slightly Better image quality
Faster Shutter Speed
It's your money but I thought that you were looking for a low cost way to dabble with a DSLR while waiting for the next wonder camera from Canon. Apart from the larger battery of the 60D all those points that you have listed are of no relevance to video but only applicable to still photographs. There is no difference in image quality as it is the same sensor & same DIGIC 4 processor. The LCD screen is identical in size & apparently the 600D even has a slightly better viewing angle.
Canon EOS 600D - EOS Digital SLR Camera - Canon UK
Canon EOS 60D - EOS Digital SLR Camera - Canon UK
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes you are right I am waiting for that camera but also looking at the resale value as I will be selling the 60D to raise funds for it and my only worry with the 600D is how easy will that be to resell compared to the 60D it's hard to say. The 60D seems to be more popular choice amongst videographers and photographers which hopefully means I may lose less then I would with the 600D. It is £140 I agree the question is which will hold its value when it comes to reselling it?
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Me personally!! The 60d is not that good in low light!! even with the sigma 30mm 1.4 on i still have to go to over 1600 maybe more, may as well put a light on it next time thats what im gunna do unless someone can enlighten me with a cheap light set up on stands??
Steve.
If you are filming in severe low light, with any camera, lights are a must have. Never really understood why so many people, not you, are reluctant to use lights. They are as just important as a good tripod and good mics. Try out the 126 led light from 7 day shop, got some reasonable comments on DV doctor, and worth a punt at less than £40
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
I have been shooting weddings with T3i/600D. The 3X crop zoom is a life saver at times changing lens is impossible. Also, I do not notice any image quality loss at all.
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Try out the 126 led light from 7 day shop
Colin you read my mind just bought two of them thank you
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Really? I haven't found that at all. I've found that using a 1.4 lens like that plus 400/800 iso is plenty for most film-worthy situations on the 600D
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:47 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
I am suprised to hear that, because from what I have read, and inspected by downloading from Vimeo, there is no perceptable quality loss at 3x, and maybe arguably an improvement due to the better performance with regard to aliasing and moire.

Going beyond 3x, naturally you are going to lose resolution.

If you wouldn't mind sharing any links where quality loss is demonstrable, it would be a help, as my mouse pointer is hovering over the buy button these last few days.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi James,

I asked the same q as you and tried out both cameras side by side in store, I could see no difference in Video and the 3x sold it for me. If you need a camera for Video get the 600D I have had it 4 days and I have used the zoom about 40 times. It does not feel as solid as the 60D but after about 20 minutes you forget all about that and just start loving the camera!
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I have been using the 3X crop zoom. This feature alone worths the upgrade.

Have some screen grabs to show here
T3i 3x Crop Zoom Demonstration | L.A. Color Blog

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD