DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Lens for close video and low light? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/501061-lens-close-video-low-light.html)

Tariq Peter September 26th, 2011 12:23 PM

Lens for close video and low light?

I have the Tamron 17-50 f.28 which is a great lens but have noticed that the closest I can get to an object whilst maintaing keeping it focus is around 33cm. I really want to get closer to film objects such as the wedding rings or table decorations. I did think of using the digital zoom but it does not work in 1280 mode which is a little bit of a pain.

Ideally the next lens needs to allow me to get much closer to the subject (objects) maybe even as close as 5cm whilst also having a great DOF.

The other lens I am looking for is one designed just for low light situations so when the lights go off and the room is just lit with the DJ strobe lights I won't have to bring out the LED panel. This is the sort of lighting I will be working with

925 Mehndi Dance!!!! Marjaani & Love mera hit hit - YouTube

Thank you.

Jon Fairhurst September 26th, 2011 04:06 PM

Re: Lens for close video and low light?

Sounds like you want a macro lens. I have the 100/2.8, which is a nice, sharp lens.

You can also use macro extension tubes for your existing lens, but it makes the image less sharp and reduces the effective aperture. (It makes your lens darker.)

There are macro filters that you put on the end of the lens, but this can make the image milky. This is cool for a dreamy look, but not good for crisp, high-contrast images.

There are also extenders that work on some longer lenses, but they still don't create a true macro.

The 100/2.8 or 100/2.8L IS are the best choices. There is also the amazing Zeiss ZE 100/2 Makro, but it's quite expensive.

Ger Griffin September 26th, 2011 08:02 PM

Good advice Jon .
I got a set of very cheap extension tubes on ebay. i think they cost me 5 euro. i put them on the 85mm 1.8 and wow. try this ridiculously cheap method first with whatever lens and see what you think.You might be surprised.

the canon 85 1.8 is good in lowlight. but better would be obviously a lower aperture. canon and nikon 50mmf1.4 is good. also samyang do a good 35mm f1.4 and 85mm 1.4. these primes work well in lowlight and also with extension tubes. tubes are akward to use but if its just a locked off tripod shot it should be easy enough.

Murray Christian September 26th, 2011 10:49 PM

For quick work without a lot of changing lenses and fidgeting about that's also probably the cheapest option, Close-Up filters are probably the best choice here. They're light and small and easy to handle. Just pop it on, get the shot and take it off again.

Although the Tamron 17-50mm has a 67mm front attachment and good filters get kinda expensive at that size.

There are also shorter focal length macros made by various manufacturers, at about 60mm and such. They double as a pretty decent all purpose prime (although if you find yourself using 17mm quite a bit it's not such a great idea)

Lee Ying September 27th, 2011 09:39 PM

For "close video and low light" together, and also 5cm focus, very shallow DOF and super lowlight performance for club scenes in one package, I know the Sigma 20mm f1.8 can pretty much deliver.
Its not a popular lens among lens buffs and pixel peepers, because its not known for razor sharpness corner to corner compared to canon L-lenses. But for video work, especially on crop sensor cams, its 32mm focal equavelant and its performance more than satisfy most needs.

Justin Molush September 28th, 2011 06:27 AM

Are you looking for close as in telephoto close, or close as in wide with good MFD?

The 100 2.8L IS is a phenomenal lens (look at the MFT charts) and if you are looking to do ring shots specifically, Im sure this is a better choice to get that selective focus and dramatic look over a wide angle with good MFD. However, to save a few bucks, you could also look at the MP-E 65mm since its made for a crop. Heard its trickier to use I hear, but still phenomenal and is a damn good macro lens.

The thing is, I dont really consider either of these lenses good in low light - 2.8 isn't that fast... Zeiss 100/2 Makro?

Justin Molush September 28th, 2011 06:29 AM

The 100 2.8L IS is a phenomenal lens (look at the MTF charts) and if you are looking to do ring shots specifically, Im sure this is a better choice to get that selective focus and dramatic look over a wide angle with good MFD. However, to save a few bucks, you could also look at the MP-E 65mm since its made for a crop. Heard its trickier to use, but still phenomenal and is a damn good macro lens.

The thing is, I dont really consider either of these lenses good in low light - 2.8 isn't that fast... Zeiss 100/2 Makro? Pricey but very very good. If you dont need macro, EF 100/2 is good as well.

Khoi Pham September 28th, 2011 07:00 AM

For that low light and macro you need at least F1.4 lens, and I think the Sigma 20mm F1.8 is good for both situation, but if you have money and want the best then, get the Canon 100 F 2.8 IS Macro for your closeup shot and for your low light Canon 50mm F1.2, Sigma 30mm F 1.4, Samyang 35mm F 1.4, those will be pretty good under the type of low light you are working with.

James Donnelly September 28th, 2011 08:23 AM

I have resisted chiming in with my usual promotion of vintage glass.

But MFD aside, if you're on a budget, get a Takumar SMC 50mm f/1.4 from ebay and shine a UV lamp into it for 48 hours to remove the yellowing.

You will have a lens that betters the nifty fifty for resolution, handling, colour rendering, bokeh and contrast in a very similar price range.

It's not for everyone :) If you are busy and on a good rate, just buy yourself a Canon 50mm f/1.4. Marvelous lens.

Lee Ying September 28th, 2011 08:32 AM

If you are on a budget, Canon 50 f 1.8 is the best. But the op is looking for lens that does macro and shooting a dance floor in low light. I don't think any of the 50mm will cut them.

James Donnelly September 28th, 2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tariq Peter (Post 1684735)
Ideally the next lens needs to allow me to get much closer to the subject (objects) maybe even as close as 5cm whilst also having a great DOF.

The other lens I am looking for is one designed just for low light situations so when the lights go off and the room is just lit with the DJ strobe lights I won't have to bring out the LED panel. This is the sort of lighting I will be working with

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Ying (Post 1685141)
If you are on a budget, Canon 50 f 1.8 is the best. But the op is looking for lens that does macro and shooting a dance floor in low light. I don't think any of the 50mm will cut them.

Personally I think any one who compares footage from a good vintage 50mm f/1.4 to the Canon 50mm f/1.8 will sell the Canon instantly. And then there's the handling and robustness. So I have to disagree about it being the best, on any budget.

The OP uses the words 'the other lens I am looking for', which indicates to me he understands that he needs more than one lens to cover his requirements. Something I agree with.

A 50mm f/1.4 will be great for low light dance floor shots, and is the most cost effective way to get a high quality fast lens with a usable FOV. Everyone should have one IMHO.

The sigma 20mm f/1.8 is a good all round choice, and the 100mm f/2.8 is also great, but it's not fast, and it's too long for dancefloor shots. Both are over £400, at least where I am.