DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Suitable contact adhesive for re-fixing loupe mounting frame on second camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/501100-suitable-contact-adhesive-re-fixing-loupe-mounting-frame-second-camera.html)

James Donnelly September 27th, 2011 02:18 PM

Suitable contact adhesive for re-fixing loupe mounting frame on second camera

Long title, says it all really.

Any ideas?

Colin Rowe September 27th, 2011 02:33 PM

Re: Suitable contact adhesive for re-fixing loupe mounting frame on second camera

Check this out James. I have one frame now that fits 3 different cameras, and no sticky stuff on the LCD.
The GGS Perfect Viewfinder Adapted for compact Digital Cameras - YouTube

James Donnelly September 27th, 2011 06:16 PM

Re: Suitable contact adhesive for re-fixing loupe mounting frame on second camera

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Rowe (Post 1684991)
Check this out James. I have one frame now that fits 3 different cameras, and no sticky stuff on the LCD.
The GGS Perfect Viewfinder Adapted for compact Digital Cameras - YouTube

Nice. I like this idea and I enjoyed watching Graham. Quality!

Looks like the answer for using a loupe (I also have the GGS flip up loupe, and love it) with an articulated screen as found on the 600d

The worst thing is, I ended up pulling out the plastic covers of the two little sensors at the top of the camera's screen when I removed my mounting frame. A warning to anyone else thinking of sticking something to their camera. The covers have very fragile legs, some of which broke off, so it's going to be a fiddle doing a clean job of putting the covers back on.

Lee Ying September 27th, 2011 09:59 PM

The best bonding adhesive between glass and metal I find is RTV silicone, normally used for bonding glass door onto the metal frame in construction.
On my loupe I removed the adhesive glue that came on the frame and reglued the frame onto the screen protector with RTV silicone. It had never once come loose. You can find a small tube of RTV silicone on Amazon.
Since its silicone, once cured, it doesn't get soft or rockhard in heat or cold. You can scrape or peel it off later on.

James Donnelly September 28th, 2011 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Ying (Post 1685062)
The best bonding adhesive between glass and metal I find is RTV silicone, normally used for bonding glass door onto the metal frame in construction.
On my loupe I removed the adhesive glue that came on the frame and reglued the frame onto the screen protector with RTV silicone. It had never once come loose. You can find a small tube of RTV silicone on Amazon.
Since its silicone, once cured, it doesn't get soft or rockhard in heat or cold. You can scrape or peel it off later on.

Thanks for that, good info.

In my case, it's there is no glass or metal involved though, which is why to begin with I'm looking for a contact adhesive similar to the one originally applied to the frame. The GGS has a plastic outer frame which self adheres to the plastic body of the camera. The loupe part then clips on to this frame. The reason I like this approach is that even when the loupe is not on, you have a screen protector on the camera.

Just to be clear, are you saying that the RTV stuff will work for plastic on plastic?

Lee Ying September 28th, 2011 08:26 AM

Yes, silicone adhesive will work on plastics very well.