DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   'Twincredibles' on BBC 2 now, shot with DSLR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/501469-twincredibles-bbc-2-now-shot-dslr.html)

James Strange October 10th, 2011 02:11 PM

'Twincredibles' on BBC 2 now, shot with DSLR

There is a show on BBC 2 (UK) just now called 'twincredibles' that looks like it was shot with DSLRs
(not sure if all of it, but the bits I'm watching just now I'd put money on it)

Interesting to see how much of was and why
(I'm guessing the reason in part was to get close up footage of the young babies?)

James

Tom Barrance October 11th, 2011 08:22 AM

Re: 'Twincredibles' on BBC 2 now, shot with DSLR

Yes, according to the assistant producer 'a lot of it' was shot on the 5D. I think the reason is for intimacy and to get participants to behave naturally - a DSLR is a lot less obtrusive than a big video camera. Also they did use incredibly shallow depth of field in parts.

It's well worth seeing - one of the most well-crafted and charming documentaries I've seen for a while. Viewers in the UK can catch it on the BBC iPlayer: bbc.in/r98vzk

James Donnelly October 12th, 2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Barrance (Post 1687818)
Yes, according to the assistant producer 'a lot of it' was shot on the 5D. I think the reason is for intimacy and to get participants to behave naturally - a DSLR is a lot less obtrusive than a big video camera. Also they did use incredibly shallow depth of field in parts.

It's well worth seeing - one of the most well-crafted and charming documentaries I've seen for a while. Viewers in the UK can catch it on the BBC iPlayer: bbc.in/r98vzk

There is a ton of stuff on the BBC shot with DSLRs. The only stipulation for producers is that HD material is not admissable due to aliasing issues.

Doesn't stop DSLR aliasing making it into SD broadcasts though, so where's the sense in that?

Steve Game October 20th, 2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Donnelly (Post 1688197)
There is a ton of stuff on the BBC shot with DSLRs. The only stipulation for producers is that HD material is not admissable due to aliasing issues.

Doesn't stop DSLR aliasing making it into SD broadcasts though, so where's the sense in that?

The BBC has a self-imposed brief to maintain technical quality standards on their HD production. Although they haven't abandoned normal quality standards on SD, the impact of squeezed bitrates is sometimes weighed against sub-standard source material when considering low-budget commissions. It all depends on how defects in the source material are likely to survive through the tortuous compression inherent in the transmission chain.
Even so, the BBC's output is usually far better than much of the dross that squats on some of the free to air channels in the UK.

Steve

Murray Christian October 20th, 2011 02:14 AM

There was a major drama miniseries called 'The Silence' that was partially shot on 7D a couple of years ago (although, mostly on Red One).
Watching it I thought "Hey, I know that rolling shutter skew."