Memory Card Indicator Please Help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 19th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Memory Card Indicator Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
Great, I will try this tonight. Is it worth doing a low level format on all the cards?
Just format (IN THE CAMERA), and as mentioned earlier, try the cards in a different camera or video camera. Its unlikely there are all duff. If none of them work in your DSLR, it would look like a camera fault
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #17
Major Player

The XHA1 default shutter speed at 25p is 1/25th and the footage is choppy. I need to change it to TV mode and increase it to 1/50 to make it watchable.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...ssive_video.do
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Just format (IN THE CAMERA), and as mentioned earlier, try the cards in a different camera or video camera. Its unlikely there are all duff. If none of them work in your DSLR, it would look like a camera fault
Yes but in the Camera there is an option to format and low level format so I will go with the low level format. It takes longer but I think its better to do that.
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
The XHA1 default shutter speed at 25p is 1/25th and the footage is choppy. I need to change it to TV mode and increase it to 1/50 to make it watchable.

Canon Professional Network - 25F Progressive video: the cinema show
Last time. 1/50 and thats all there is to it
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Yes but in the Camera there is an option to format and low level format so I will go with the low level format. It takes longer but I think its better to do that.
It wont make a lot of difference, but try it if you want. Have you tried all the cards in the camera yet???
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #21
Major Player

Not at home at the moment but I will later. 1/50 "last time" is a bit harsh, I must say you are going against what pretty much every forum, YouTube video and piece of advice I have ever been given. I would love to hear other forum members’ thoughts on this also.
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #22
Major Player

Sorry Tariq, didnt mean to appear harsh, its just that you dont seem to willing to try anything for yourself. I have never shot 25p, and never will, simply because of the jerky nature of the footage. I have never used any shutter speed other than 1/50, for anything other than light control. Its simple, try shooting some footage, at various shutter speeds, then play it back, you will soon see for yourself what works, and what doesn't. The bottom line is, you need to know your equipments performance capabilities inside out. The only way to is to shoot, shoot, shoot, then tweak to your own preferences. I will admit, I am not a great fan of using DSLRs for wedding shoots, I did try for a year or so, but the DSLRs were, and still are, used as B cams only. For me they added far to much extra work in a wedding situation. And I was never taken with there relatively low resolution, and aliasing and moire problems. But hey, each to his own.
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #23
Major Player

Hi.

Thanks for your comments, I am willing to try but DSLRs and 50fps is a new concept for me. The footage is fine shooting at 50fps@1/50 or at 50fps@100fps I don't see a major differnce. What I really don't want to do is shoot knowing that my camera is set up correctly using advice from experts. e.g DSLR video & shutter speed - Digital Grin Photography Forum
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #24
Major Player

Like I said Tariq, try it, and satisfy yourself that it is doing exactly what you want it to do. When it is just so, leave it at that and you can shoot with confidence.
Good luck with the wedding by the way
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #25
Major Player

Check this out Tariq, it may help. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...x-720-50p.html
Lots of different opinions, as I say, the best way is to try out all settings and see which one works for you.
Good luck.
Old October 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Hi All,

my first wedding is in 2 days time and today I am seeing a five level indicator on the right hand side of my LCD screen which keeps reaching the maximum and shooting just stops. The cards I have are the Transcend 32GB SDHC Class 10 memory cards, I have formatted the cards but as soon as I start to record again they stop and I see the indicator. I just don't know what to do as I have purchased 6 of these.

Please Help
Put all of them aside until you can return them or sell them. What you are seeing is the "buffer bar", it appears, fills up, and shuts your recording process down because the card media cannot keep up with the camera.

Either you got some bad cards or they are "counterfeit" (which I doubt because Transcend is not a topnotch brand that gets counterfeited).

Do not even think of using those on a wedding, you are flirting with disaster.

Spend the money to get several SanDisk media FROM A TRUSTWORTHY SOURCE (SanDisk is probably the most counterfeited brand, which should tell you something), format them in camera and test them thoroughly.

But don't "dink around" with those Transcend cards anymore. (Watch all the Transcend "True Believers" argue with me here).
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Not at home at the moment but I will later. 1/50 "last time" is a bit harsh, I must say you are going against what pretty much every forum, YouTube video and piece of advice I have ever been given. I would love to hear other forum members’ thoughts on this also.
YouTube video is about the last place I would trust for knowledgeable advice, and on the "forums" you have a bunch of people "echoing" every piece of bad advice folks have tossed out there.

Pay attention to what Colin Rowe is trying to share with you.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 06:42 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Put all of them aside until you can return them or sell them. What you are seeing is the "buffer bar", it appears, fills up, and shuts your recording process down because the card media cannot keep up with the camera.

Either you got some bad cards or they are "counterfeit" (which I doubt because Transcend is not a topnotch brand that gets counterfeited).

Do not even think of using those on a wedding, you are flirting with disaster.
Compatibility is still a problem with certain cards. I have a Class 10 Patriot SDHC that I have quite a bit of trouble with in my 600D/T3i but works perfectly in my GH13 and GH2.I have Class 4, 6 and 10 cards from about 6 other different brands and they all work well with all my cameras except for the Patriot.

On the other hand, several of the cards that work well in my cameras aren't even recognized in my H4N.

But that last line is very true.... don't use them for a wedding.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD