DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   600d (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/502135-600d.html)

Hans Sandstrom October 30th, 2011 05:52 AM

600d

I "inherited" a Canon 600D a few days ago. Now I have a few questions as it didn't come with a manual. I know that I can download it but couldn't find answers to the following questions:

1. The video recording sometimes stops and a message comes up on the LCD saying:
"Video recording is interrupted"
When I try again there seems to be no problem.

2. Sometimes a message flashes in the down left corner: "Exp. SIM"

3. What is the best way to import the footage to my iMac? I have tried iMovie but it didn't recognize the
camera. Tried iPhoto and it worked... but is there a better way.

I have a 16Gb SD-card from YES marked HD-video 10.

Thank you

Jeffrey Kauffman October 30th, 2011 08:15 AM

Re: 600d

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans Sandstrom (Post 1692531)
I "inherited" a Canon 600D a few days ago. Now I have a few questions as it didn't come with a manual. I know that I can download it but couldn't find answers to the following questions:

1. The video recording sometimes stops and a message comes up on the LCD saying:
"Video recording is interrupted"
When I try again there seems to be no problem.

2. Sometimes a message flashes in the down left corner: "Exp. SIM"

3. What is the best way to import the footage to my iMac? I have tried iMovie but it didn't recognize the
camera. Tried iPhoto and it worked... but is there a better way.

I have a 16Gb SD-card from YES marked HD-video 10.

Thank you

I'm not sure about question #1 but the EXP. Sim message shouldn't be anything to worry about. I believe it's It's short for 'Exposure Simulation' - it means the live view image is approximating the exposure of the final image.

For importing I recommend you drag and drop the files from the card onto your hard drive and use Mpeg Streamclip (google it, it's free) to convert from H.264 into Prores or something more edit friendly.
I hope that helps

Hans Sandstrom October 30th, 2011 08:33 AM

Thanks Jeffrey,

In order to drag the clips from the camera I need the camera to show up as a "hard disk" on my iMac - but it doesn't... Do I have to set the camera before connecting it via USB-cable to the iMac?

I have used MPEGStreamClip to convert the clips for use n Final Cut Express.

Murray Christian October 30th, 2011 09:31 AM

If your imac has an SD card reader you ought to be able to do it that way.

Go get the software for it, particularly EOS utility. That might help prod the computer into recognising it.

About the record halting; try a low level format of the card and see if it still does it.

Hans Sandstrom October 30th, 2011 09:43 AM

No, I don't have a card reader - but I'll will buy one.

Thank you both...

Charlton Chars December 5th, 2011 05:30 AM

Now you can use the Canon EOS 600D's built-in flash to trigger and control it wireless for a host of potential lighting techniques and is a welcome inclusion on a camera of this class.

Iker Riera December 5th, 2011 05:54 AM

the first problem may be related to the SD card your are using, it may not be fast enough for the video recording of the camera.

Karl Taylor December 8th, 2011 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iker Riera (Post 1701516)
the first problem may be related to the SD card your are using, it may not be fast enough for the video recording of the camera.

I've used class 6, class 10 and sometimes even class 4. Whenever it says something like "Movie Recording has stopped automatically, all i do is just format the card whilst it's in the camera. Once i do that it's pretty much fine. Obviously you might want to format it before doing any filming.