DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Brand New 7D Rig! This Is A Thing Of Beauty! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/502781-brand-new-7d-rig-thing-beauty.html)

Corey Benoit November 17th, 2011 12:47 PM

Brand New 7D Rig! This Is A Thing Of Beauty!

I ordered a full rig from indiefilmdepot.com turns out they are pretty legit, i was worried because the price was just really good and i wasnt sure.

I took a chance and 3 days later this bad boy makes it into my hands :)

Let me know if you like.

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d...endc5/rig6.jpg

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d...endc5/rig5.jpg

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d...endc5/rig3.jpg

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d...dc5/rig2-1.jpg

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d...endc5/rig1.jpg

Dylan Couper November 17th, 2011 03:47 PM

Re: Brand New 7D Rig! This Is A Thing Of Beauty!

I've owned a few of these rigs. Quality of material is extremely low, the metal bends and warps easily, the screws are a nightmare, threads strip, and on and on... There's very few video products I've actually thrown in the garbage, but this DSLR rig is one. Two of them actually. They do have some that are decent, this is not one. Cinecity actually replaced them 6 months in with brand new ones (Cinecity has FANTASTIC customer service), as they must get a lot of returns.

However, the follow focus units they make are a decent value for the money, as is the matte box (at least for indie shooters). You may find a year from now you'll be using those on someone elses rig. In the meantime, baby it.

ADDED - full review on page 2 of this thread

Corey Benoit November 17th, 2011 08:00 PM

How many times can I take it apart and put it together? I planned on leaving it setup for good and buying a quick release mandrotto so I never have to worry about touching the screws

Dylan Couper November 18th, 2011 09:50 AM

It's torque on the rig that really messes it up. The clamps either won't go tight enough to hold or won't loosen enough for you to back them off. Go with the QR plate and you should be ok for the most part.

I actually have one piece of this rig sitting on my shelf, stuffed with duct tape, as a reminder not to buy another. :)

Vincent Oliver November 21st, 2011 02:10 AM

The whole concept behind a HDSLR camera is that it is light and portable, to be used by news photographers in the field. Looking at this rig, and many others I can't help feeling that you are missing the point. It's like putting a zimmer frame on a camera.

If you are serious about capturing video, then a dedicated camcorder is the best option, at least you won't be walking about with these hideous contraptions drawing attention to yourself. Accessory manufacturers must be rubbing their hands in glee.

I'm all for HDSLR cameras, they are a great tool and long may they continue to develop the camera to produce better handling features.

James Donnelly November 24th, 2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1698560)
The whole concept behind a HDSLR camera is that it is light and portable, to be used by news photographers in the field. Looking at this rig, and many others I can't help feeling that you are missing the point. It's like putting a zimmer frame on a camera.

If you are serious about capturing video, then a dedicated camcorder is the best option, at least you won't be walking about with these hideous contraptions drawing attention to yourself. Accessory manufacturers must be rubbing their hands in glee.

I'm all for HDSLR cameras, they are a great tool and long may they continue to develop the camera to produce better handling features.

Being portable and lightweight is one advantage. But I would argue the most compelling aspect of DSLRs is not this at all, so I must disagree.

I also disagree that the DSLR revolution has been driven by news photographers. It's about film makers in my opinion, who want to use things like shoulder mounts, follow focus systems, matte boxes, etc, etc.

But why can't people use DSLRs for what they want? People clearly do use shoulder mounts with all the trimmings, especially film makers, so I don't understand why you seem to be dismissive of this approach

Vincent Oliver November 24th, 2011 09:47 AM

The original concept for HDSLR was for news photographers to capture movie clips as well as stills. The internet is a major player for news stories and newspapers. The fact that many film cameramen also adopted this whole concept is indeed a true bonus and I can see the advantage of a small camera for B roll or second crew etc.

What I find amusing, to be polite, is the whole concept of attaching Christmas tree decorations to an otherwise excellent system. I agree this will make the camera easier to use, but why not go the whole hog and invest in a camera that can do it right in the first place. Surely all the cost of all the add on bits plus the camera must be more expensive than a decent camcorder.

Just my thoughts.

I shoot with HDSLR's (Nikon D7000 & Canon 5D MkII) and camcorders (Sony EX3 and Canon XF305) and am the first to embrace any new technology.

Ben Winter November 24th, 2011 11:53 PM

Lately I've seen less and less of a reason to invest in a matte box. They're always overpriced for what they are. And most modern lenses for DSLRs are coated with anti-reflective materials that are getting better every day. When contrast is an issue, a simple lens shade does the trick (or some cinefoil). Most lenses come with their own. And I don't see the point of square glass filters when a lighter version can be screwed onto the front of the lens.

I use DSLRs for fashion editorials and most times flares are actually desirable. But when they're not, I can see a bunch of alternatives that make a lot more sense than something big and showy like a matte box (unless you're trying to pass the "Kiefer test!")

I agree with Vincent. I own multiple shoulder mounts, follow focus systems and hardly use any of them because of the bulk. DSLRs were made for photojournalists and I've found time and time again that the best results are achieved when you shoot using the intended method they were designed for (has your hand ever encountered something so comfortable to hold before? Canon got it right with the T90 and has kept the form(ula) the same ever since).

The only bit of rig I can strongly recommend is the Cinevate "Cyclops" viewfinder, the only one I know of that encompasses *both* eyes so there's no need to squint through a single eyepiece (A "duh!" design move in my opinion). When you need shoulder support Cinevate got it right there too. I forget their fancy name for that product but I've tried many shoulder mounts and it's the only one that makes sense...adjustable, rigid, durable and comfortable.

James Donnelly November 25th, 2011 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1699373)

What I find amusing, to be polite, is the whole concept of attaching Christmas tree decorations to an otherwise excellent system. I agree this will make the camera easier to use, but why not go the whole hog and invest in a camera that can do it right in the first place. Surely all the cost of all the add on bits plus the camera must be more expensive than a decent camcorder.

I think for many people who invest in DSLR because they get caught up in the buzz, I think you are right. But in the hands of the right person, you would have to spend many times more on a camera to achieve the performance of the sensor, not to mention the ability to use stellar interchangeable glass.

This is why DSLR footage has penetrated the world of film making more deeply than reportage in my opinion, as championed by folks like LaForet, Hurlbut and Bloom to name a few obvious ones.

Now that the AF101 and the F3 are out, usage of big DSLR rigs will probably wane a bit, but I don't see it going away completely.as long as you can buy a 550D used for £300 and the cost of apparatus keeps falling.

James Donnelly November 25th, 2011 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Winter (Post 1699458)
Lately I've seen less and less of a reason to invest in a matte box. They're always overpriced for what they are. And most modern lenses for DSLRs are coated with anti-reflective materials that are getting better every day. When contrast is an issue, a simple lens shade does the trick (or some cinefoil). Most lenses come with their own. And I don't see the point of square glass filters when a lighter version can be screwed onto the front of the lens.

I use my DSLR in three ways; with a shoulder mount, a tripod or hand held with a loupe. Hand held is OK for most shots, especially wide, but it doesn't compare to using the shoulder mount for stability. Steady cams are fine, but you can't touch the focus with your hands. Monopods are great, but not for me. I actually need to have gear on the camera.

Screw on filters are a waste of time for me. I have roughly 20 lenses with everything from 49 to 82mm fronts. Why have all those filters? Even if you only use two lenses, it's still a waste. I can pop an ND in the slot in less than a second, and I can focus on buying one set of top quality filters which I know will be universally usable for the rest of my life.

Matte boxes should not be expensive, and back when they were, I made my own to go on my home made rails system, but clearly this isn't for everyone, and there is certainly nothing Keifer about a food tub with tin plate rivetted to it. Nowadays I use a cheap but good £70 ebay job, and it is perfect.

I shoot mostly primes, quite a few vintage ones, and shooting outside, a matte box with flags has proved better than a hood in some cases. If you have sun coming in at 45 degrees a big flag can get you more contrast in the shot than a hood.

I also find it very useful to have an external screen mounted to the rig. Articulated screens are OK, but only an external monitor will do for some situations, so I need it.

The external sound recorder has to go somewhere too. The camera sound is OK with ML, but I only use it for syncing with pluraleyes. It's a hassle free way to go.

For a lightweight set up, with a fast fixed zoom and no external sound requirements, a monopod is an excellent way to go, but I couldn't make films that way.

James Millward November 25th, 2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1699373)

Just my thoughts.

I shoot with HDSLR's (Nikon D7000 & Canon 5D MkII) and camcorders (Sony EX3 and Canon XF305) and am the first to embrace any new technology.

But this implies that one has the funds to invest in a different camera.

DSLR's have allowed 35mm 1080p to be available at a mouch lower price point. There are plenty of people who would like to take advantage of these traits but who can not afford to 'invest in a camera that can do it right in the first place'

Most of the rigging we see being used would also be required on more expensive 35mm systems, so why not use it on a dslr?

If you are talking about people using these dslr rigs for 'run and gun; then I agree, they would seem the wrong choice of camera. A video camera with smaller chips and comparable image quaility can be had for much the same money.

But to the film maker, these bits of kit are useful things.

Plus they look so cool..... ;)

James

Vincent Oliver November 25th, 2011 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Millward (Post 1699495)

Plus they look so cool..... ;)

James

Hmmmmmm...............

My grandmother's zimmer frame looks cool too, and it's cheaper

Brian David Melnyk November 25th, 2011 06:47 AM

if the rigs help you to get an in-focus, well exposed, stable shot with good sound, who cares what they look like or how many things are attached?
the image is what counts. no matter what tools you use to get it.

James Millward November 25th, 2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1699498)
Hmmmmmm...............

My grandmother's zimmer frame looks cool too, and it's cheaper

We needs pics! preferably with matte box and ff attatched ;)

James

Mike Calla November 25th, 2011 10:13 AM

I like the rig (assumed quality problem aside).

I not sure the size of dslrs is that much of an issue, it may help, but its not the main factor in choosing it.

If the OP, or anybody has a means of transporting and utilizing such a rig, go for it!