T3i format without losing Magic Lantern? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 30th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Major Player

T3i format without losing Magic Lantern?

How do I erase video files from a card in my Canon T3i without erasing Magic Lantern at the same time?

Or do I have to use a card reader to view and toss out the video files?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: T3i format without losing Magic Lantern?

Put the card in playback made hit menu. Go to the first playback menu (blue square with the play icon). Select erase images > all images on card.

This will delete all the images and videos from the card but it will not format the card. Regularly formatting the cards is recommended in order to get the best performance from them. When you format the card, you will then need to put magic lantern back on the card and make it bootable again.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you very much for the reply.

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Is the format and keep magic lantern option not on the 600D like it is on the 550D?

I use this method all the time. You format in camera and you can press Q to choose to erase or keep magic lantern.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
Put the card in playback made hit menu. Go to the first playback menu (blue square with the play icon). Select erase images > all images on card.

This will delete all the images and videos from the card but it will not format the card. Regularly formatting the cards is recommended in order to get the best performance from them. When you format the card, you will then need to put magic lantern back on the card and make it bootable again.
John,
They must have done an update since you wrote. Now, it is very easy to format the card in the camera while keeping Magic Lantern intact (the magic lantern files are quickly transferred to the camera's memory as the card is formatted and then put back afterwards).
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Tim, that's great to know. I've been using an older build and haven't bothered to update yet.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD