Canon 60d question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 1st, 2011, 05:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 60d question

Hello to all,

I want to buy canon 60d so I have some questions for you guys. So I'm not professional photographer and I don't want to be, but will I be able to shot with 60d timelapses and is picture going to be good.

Primary this camera is going to shot just videos and sometimes timelapses.

And does 60d has auto focus?

thanks for answers,
matija
Matija Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon 60d question

The 60D has autofocus if the attached lens has the motor for it etc (most lenses available for it are autofocus)
The autofocus doesn't operate in video mode unless you press the shutter button (and then it doesn't work very well, if you ask me)

It hasn't got its own timelapse mode, but the Magic Lantern firmware upgrade adds one which is very good, I believe. They're photographs so the quality will be great. I think you do have to assemble the images into video yourself, however.
Magic lantern also adds quite a lot of extra focus options, which I'm not too sure about. Someone with some experience might comment.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The 60D is capable of taking great photos.
To do time lapse you'll need either an intervalometer or Magic Lantern. The intervalometer will cost you extra money and will require some time to learn to use. Magic Lantern is free but very complicated.

There's no simple answer to achieving the results you seek with this camera, or any DSLR really. Even if you don't plan to go pro you'll need to learn about lenses, camera operation, technical challenges and creative techniques to produce work that looks professional.

You'll need to invest lots of time and money to get great results, there's no shortcut or "easy button." Sorry.

I don't want to discourage you from pursuing photography because it can be a very personally rewarding experience for an artist, but it takes genuine effort to produce work that other people will appreciate.

Because you're asking if the 60D has autofocus my best advice would be to take a basic photography course in your local area or consider using a camcorder for video which will allow you to focus more on your content rather than technical challenges.

Try and get your hands on a very cheap camera at first to find out why it can't achieve your specific goals. Google your questions, you'll be surprised how much you'll stumble upon.

We can probably help you more effectively on this site when you ask very targeted questions, and don't forget to do a search here first to see if your question is answered before posting.

Good luck Matija, and most of all try to have fun with your journey! We hope to hear about it.
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks guys for answers, so 60d is going to be my second camera, my primary camera is sony fx1000, I'm new with dslr's so sorry if my questions are a little stupid, I know about problem with autofocus with all dslr's

about lenses uf, I'm new with that too, but for beginning I want to buy lens that I can use for video and for photo nothing special, maybe it will be EF-S 17-85mm lens, I read about it and most reviews said it's best lens for beginners, I don't want to buy cheap one lenses such lens that comes with canon 500d
Matija Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I don't own 60D but I think auto focus doesn't work in video mode. You can half press shutter to focus before hitting the video record button. Once start recording, auto focus will not trace the object. You can half press the shutter button again during recording but the focus hunting will be very slow.

What I did is to install Magic Lantern for the focus peaking feature. Then mounted a gear on the focus ring for easy manual focus.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD