Do you use a battery grip when filming events? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 12th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Do you use a battery grip when filming events?

Or does the increase in size \ weight not worth the increase in battery life?
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Do you use a battery grip when filming events?

my 5D is on the rails all the time ,with all that stuff that comes with the setup, adding battery grip to it would be complicated, but I do use the grip for my handheld unit 60D, it makes it a bit larger and less convenient, but I like longer uninterrupted power option.
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Major Player

No, but I just got the AC adapter kit for the Canon 7D. It has about a 15 foot cord. I didn't get it with events in mind, but rather for those extended time lapses. A possible option for you if wall power is available and not doing handheld.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #4
New Boot

Not sure what you mean by events, but yes, I always shoot with a battery grip (I have a T2i). It makes the smallish T2i easier for me to hold, it obviously extends battery life, and it makes it much easier to change batteries when the camera is attached to a tripod. No major downsides IMO, although Size and weight might be more problematic on a 60D, 7D, etc.
Jon Onstot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #5
New Boot

I haven't but I'm thinking about it when shooting handheld stuff, the Canon 550D is extremely light and sometimes i find it quite shaky. After a while my arm has stiffened up then it turns out all right. I think if I did put a battery grip on it you're adding another 400 grams or so making it about 1 kg. Which i think is a double pro if you ask me with increased battery life and steadier shots. But that's just me. Only con is, well, it's heavier on the arm! And a little bit more bulky to carry/transport.
Karl Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Major Player

I just got my 60D a couple weeks ago and almost ran out of juice during a shoot. Went and got the battery grip, so no more worries with that now. However, it does add some weight, and along with the 24-105mm F4L, it became quite a heavy package. But at least I can be sure my batteries should last thru a 2 hour event.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I have three T3i. All of them have battery grip mounted to it. Of course it doubles the battery run time which I like when filming event. It also makes T3i a little bigger and easier to hold. So it won't be so tiny that looks like a toy.

For T2i, I tested it with and without battery grip, it increases the time a little bit before the camera got overheated.
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Easier to hold the cam, easier to switch batteries on tripod, longer operational time. All true. The grip never leaves my 550D body. Good investment. Even the cheap aftermarket grips work well.
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Major Player

The only issue I have found with using a battery grip is that it limits your choice of viewfinders.

You either purchase an original battergrip which then allows you to use the
EVF viewfinders, alternatively you can purchase either the Letus Hawk VF or the Hoodman Crane.

Also if you do purchase a replica is that the bottom mounting threads are only anchored into the plastic housing with no metal support behind the plastic or anything

Last edited by Tariq Peter; January 1st, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Major Player

I use a Manfrotto monopod with a small, halfway decent friction head. It's quick to adjust just the one pole and I clamp stuff onto the rubber shaft part - like a mike preamp and wireless receivers. It's surprising how steady this can be. Plus I can get overhead and high shots by using it like a mike boom pole. Also it's less obtrusive than running around with a tripod & head.

It makes all the difference in steadiness. And if you want to do a camera move, you sort of drag it to your next position which is far steadier than the camera alone because there is the added inertia caused by the weight and the semi-dangling monopod.

Best

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
Also if you do purchase a replica is that the bottom mounting threads are only anchored into the plastic housing with no metal support behind the plastic or anything
Don't forgete Tariq that not all non-Canon add-ons are of the same quality. I haven't bought a battery grip yet, but I've had my eyes on the Meike (been around a long time, lots of reviews available), and this page shows that the construction contains a metal plate for both top and bottom mountings:

Meike 550D Knockoff Battery Grip Review | The REX Productions Blog

Maybe I didn't fully comprehend your statement.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Donnelly View Post
Don't forgete Tariq that not all non-Canon add-ons are of the same quality. I haven't bought a battery grip yet, but I've had my eyes on the Meike (been around a long time, lots of reviews available), and this page shows that the construction contains a metal plate for both top and bottom mountings:

Meike 550D Knockoff Battery Grip Review | The REX Productions Blog

Maybe I didn't fully comprehend your statement.
After posting this, I thought why not buy one and find out, I've been meaning to for a while. I paid £30 from Hong Kong with free shipping from a trader named citiwide-online-au. Really something like this shouldn't cost more than that.

After two days use, I must report that this has been an excellent purchase. The build quality and operation are superb. In no way does it feel less well made than the camera itself.

I was pleased to find out that when two batteries are inserted, it will use them simultaneously, and it's not a problem if one has less juice left. Of course you can also use just one battery, and the AA capability is brilliant to have.

The only thing the manual doesn't mention is how to interpret the in camera battery meter. Does it accurately show your percentage charge remaining across two batteries?

Overall, I think this will get left on the camera for a number of reasons. It didn't occur to me I would no longer have to remove my quick release plate to change the batteries for one. Secondly, it's un-expectedly nice to not have to contort yourself when shooting portrait.

Last but not least, I now feel like more of a pro with a battery grip. How sad am I?
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #13
Major Player

i have 3 T2i's, and 3 grips. they almost never leave the cameras. Even if we have AC power, i like to have mobility and backup juice.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Inner Circle

James - you have a 550D or a 60D? I always had the battery grip attached to my old 10D and simply assumed that I'd want the same with my new 60D. But no, the battery consumption on the 60D is amazingly low, even having a rear screen twice as large and twice as bright as my 10D's. In a full day of shooting the 60D battery comes home half full.

So I've not bothered, even though I really like the battery grip's ability to add height and therefore enable a wrist strap to go between top of cam and bottom of grip - much nicer than having a dangly neck strap.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I also use a battery grip like a "quick release". I have an T3i that I mount between steadicam and slider. It turns out I always have to tweak the steadicam because I move it back and forth. Now I have a spare battery grip on both. I just need to unattached the camera off the battery grip and no need to rebalance again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD