DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Best memory card for 60d (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/503495-best-memory-card-60d.html)

Matija Petrovic December 12th, 2011 11:08 AM

Best memory card for 60d

Hello to all,

I just bought 60d and I don't have any memory card yet, so my question is what memory card is the best for this camera, camera is just for shooting videos

Is it enough to buy card with 30 mb/s or I need faster card

thanks in advance

Kin Lau December 12th, 2011 12:17 PM

Re: Best memory card for 60d

FAQ: Any Class 6 or Class 10 SDHC will do (it's in the manual BTW).

30MB/s is overkill for video.

You'll want to note the difference btwn Mega_bits_/sec (Mb/s) vs Mega_Bytes_/sec (MB/s)

Oren Arieli December 12th, 2011 02:00 PM

I've had good luck with the Transcend class 6 and 10 16GB cards, as well as Lexar Professional class 10. I saw a recent TomsHardware.com review of cards and the Lexar Professional seemed to be the best choice for my 60d. I've only had it for a few shoots, but it's been reliable thus far.

Matija Petrovic December 12th, 2011 03:37 PM

I think about buying this one Sandisk Extreme HD Video 16GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card | eBay

Matija Petrovic December 12th, 2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kin Lau (Post 1703085)
FAQ: Any Class 6 or Class 10 SDHC will do (it's in the manual BTW).

30MB/s is overkill for video.

You'll want to note the difference btwn Mega_bits_/sec (Mb/s) vs Mega_Bytes_/sec (MB/s)

thank You, I read manual, but I want to hear from You guys from your experiance

Bruce Foreman December 13th, 2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matija Petrovic (Post 1703144)

Avoid ebay. Counterfeits abound there, and SanDisk is the most counterfeited media card out there. Make your purchase from a reputable camera or electronics dealer who will back up your purchase without question.

If you can order from amazon.com and the order is shipped from amazon you are safe, but lately amazon may be "dancing with the devil" as some of their vendors have been shipping cards that SanDisk says "Not one of ours".

If you can purchase from B&H in New York and get reliable affordable shipping to Zagreb that might be best.

And just "any" old brand card may not work well. These Canon cameras (and some Nikons) can get "brand picky".

Good luck.

Matija Petrovic December 13th, 2011 07:35 AM

so what I need to look at card: speed must be 30MB/s
class 10

or am I wrong

Jon Shohet December 13th, 2011 08:59 AM

Sandisk class 10 is a fine choice, just beware of counterfeits as Bruce pointed out.

Kin Lau December 13th, 2011 11:12 AM

Class 6 is 6 megabytes/sec, class 10 is 10 megabytes/sec.

60d is 35 megabit/sec (bits, not bytes) which is only 4.5 megabytes per sec.

So as repeated before, class 6 is sufficient, plenty.

Charles Newcomb December 13th, 2011 01:07 PM

I prefer Hoodman RAW. They cost more, but their performance is rock-solid and customer service is great.

Matija Petrovic December 26th, 2011 06:14 AM

thanks everyone for answers

Urban Skargren May 5th, 2015 10:09 AM

I have been using 45 MB/s and they work fine, but the 30 MB/s cards keep stopping while shooting (both Class 10).

Seth Bloombaum May 5th, 2015 11:19 AM

The big advantage of buying faster cards than your camera requires is that transfers to your computer go waaay fast. That's important for some shooters.

The latest I bought were Sandisk Extreme PLUS SDHC 80MB/S Class 10 32GB. Current price at B&H is $38 shipped, or SDXC 64GB for $65.

You deal with a lot of full cards if you're covering events... those fast transfers are important.

And of course there's speed to spare for keeping up with the camera's video, or bursts of stills.