DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Dead pixel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/503640-dead-pixel.html)

Harry Bromley-Davenport December 16th, 2011 12:49 PM

Dead pixel

I have a dead pixel in my Canon T3i. This is the second time it will have to be returned for service in a period of 6 months.

Has anyone else had my bad luck? The camera actually arrived with a series of dead pixels and several other faults.

And didn't I read somewhere that Canon is opening a service center here in Los Angeles? The nearest one is currently in Irvine.

Thanks.

Harry.

Chris Hurd December 16th, 2011 03:58 PM

Re: Dead pixel

I believe the new service center in Hollywood is for pro-level gear but you might check with them anyway (and let us know what you find out).

Harry Bromley-Davenport December 16th, 2011 04:35 PM

I'll call them up and get the skinny. And will report back. Probably not till Monday.

Thanks Chris,

Harry.

Chris Medico December 16th, 2011 04:37 PM

Have you done the manual sensor cleaning yet?

That should mask them in the software. Had one on my 7d and that took care of it.

Harry Bromley-Davenport December 16th, 2011 06:48 PM

Well - I don't know about "manual sensor cleaning", but every time I switch it on or off, a little window comes up that says "cleaning sensor" but I believe that's for shaking off the dust.

This is a dead pixel. I think they have to replace the sensor.

But maybe you have an alternative?

Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport December 16th, 2011 07:29 PM

I called Canon and was told that all service to do with the Rebel t3i is now being done on the East Coast. Irvine no longer services them. They will send you a label to cover shipping costs. Turnaround is about 2 weeks.

There is no way for the user to map out dead pixels.

Thank you Canon.

This is poor. I bought this in August and had to return it immediately due to several dead pixels and the fact that the stabilizer did not work at all. Now I have to send the wretched thing to the East Coast. I wonder if they put in a new sensor or just map out the dead pixels and toss it back on the Fed-Ex truck.

I thought that Canon was supposed to be a premium brand.

By the way, in case you are interested in this little rant, the last time I sent this camera in I had to pay the postage which was about $30. So I called up and emailed and whined and wailed. Finally they said that I could have a "free" Canon accessory. The only thing in that price range was the wireless remote. About $30. I said fine.

But the wireless remote does not operate in Movie Mode and has a built in delay of from 2 to 10 seconds.

Would anyone like a wireless remote?

Best

Harry.

Chris Medico December 18th, 2011 08:34 AM

Look through the menu and do the manual sensor cleaning first. You may save yourself some time sending it in for service.

Murray Christian December 18th, 2011 11:26 AM

What's it look like?
I had a persistent white pixel that wouldn't go away with any auto cleaning. So I opened the mirror for manual cleaning, held the body upside down (or back side up, I suppose) and took to it with a blower (without actually touching it! I don't trust my stuff to be grease free, or my skill with cleaners).
It worked, anyway.

Harry Bromley-Davenport December 18th, 2011 11:49 AM

My dead pixel is red. I will open up the camera a give it a try with a blower. Thanks so much for the suggestions. Somehow I doubt that it is on the surface, but it's worth a try.

Best

Harry.

Bob Willis December 18th, 2011 03:50 PM

Try this first. It worked for my Canon 7D.
How To Fix A Hot or Dead Pixel (Canon 7D & 5D & others) - YouTube

Murray Christian December 19th, 2011 03:54 AM

Curious. In that video that's pretty much the same thing I did, minus the blowing step.
He's talking about 'the camera remapping the sensor' though. There's nothing at all about that in the manual.
All the manual clean mode does it lock open the mirror and whatever else so the sensor can be accessed, or so it says.
Is the 7D different? Maybe his dirt just fell off.

Bruce Foreman December 19th, 2011 09:27 AM

A "dead", "stuck", or "hot" pixel is not dirt or dust related. The "remapping" during a manual sensor clean cycle is not mentioned in the manual but does work much of the time.

You remove the lens and put the body cap on, this is to block all light from the sensor. Activate the manual cleaning mode with the body cap on and leave it this way for a minute or two (I left it in that mode for 5 minutes when I had a "hot" white pixel on my 7D sensor). Turn the camera off to end the process.

This works much of the time. I've read that when you send the camera in to a Canon Service Center for a bad pixel problem, this is the first thing the techs do.

Murray Christian December 19th, 2011 10:26 AM

Hm, cheers. Is this documented somewhere the public can get to? I'd be curious to know how it works.

Chris Medico December 19th, 2011 11:36 AM

I've not seen anything official from Canon about how it works. It does work though.

I've had a white pixel issue on my 7d and the manual cleaning for 1 min took care of it.

Harry Bromley-Davenport December 19th, 2011 04:31 PM

And it worked for me too.

Thanks for all the advice,

Best wishes,

Harry.