DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Will the following 60D sound setup work? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/503895-will-following-60d-sound-setup-work.html)

Dan Burnap December 28th, 2011 03:44 AM

Will the following 60D sound setup work?

Zoom H4n connected direct to the DJ's rig via one XLR input recording his audio from source audio.
The other H4n XLR input connected to my Sony Wireless reciever with the reciever connected to my on-camera Rode Videomic which is also connected via splitter to the mic input on the 60D (I know I will need one of those special attenuation cables.

So, in a nutshell:

Rode Videomic Pro connected to camera mic and sony transmitter which sends to Zoom H4n recorded two track with input from DJ's rig.

Thanks

Ben Giles December 28th, 2011 04:04 AM

Re: Will the following 60D sound setup work?

It would be good to know what you're trying to achieve overall.

First thoughts:

If you're shooting in a noisy environment (DJ), what do you hope to record with the Rode?

You're only getting a mono feed from the DJ - personally, I'd be trying to get stereo.

If you do go with the proposed setup, How would you split the signal from the Rode between the Sony transmitter and the camera input?

Ben.

John Wiley December 28th, 2011 06:10 AM

Won't you then have one mic level signal and one line level signal going into the H4n? And with no way to adjust the levels individually you'll end up with one clipping and one arely audible.

Unless, of course, you can get a mic level signal from the soundboard.

Dan Burnap December 28th, 2011 09:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I am tying to record decent audio at loud wedding receptions.

Apart from the sony wireless I dont have a Rode Videomic (but i do have a NTG1) or the Zoom. I am exploring best setups for when i swap my camcorders with xlr inputs for DSLRs before i make any purchases.

"How would you split the signal from the Rode between the Sony transmitter and the camera input" - good point, i have no idea!

Ben Giles December 28th, 2011 12:40 PM

OK.

Loud wedding receptions and decent audio are not comfortable bedfellows.

Anything you run through your Sony radio system will suffer from a degree of "compander" noise - it ends up a little noisy on the quieter signals. So how about the following suggestion:

Run your H4N on board the DSLR with your NTG1 mounted on top in a good quality mic cradle. This will give you the nearest thing to decent actuality sound if you can't afford a sound recordist.

Run the stereo output of the H4N directly into your camera, via an attenuated cable (eg Sescom.) This will give you reasonably clean sound which you might be happy to use directly off the camera MOV files - or you can use it for synching purposes (eg Pluralise.)

Run the DJ desk into the Sony transmitter (on it's line input - I'm assuming you're using the UVW1 system) and send that to the other leg of your H4N, which you leave running all the time. Dance music is already very compressed, so you shouldn't have major issues with compander noise.

Use headphones to check you're not out of radio range and that all is tickety-boo.

This way, you get the critical audio (actuality) directly onto the H4N and the music via the radio link - and if that fails, you can always get hold of the music afterwards. You could also resynch stereo music in post as well.

The downside is that you're carrying a bit more gear - but it's slightly more resilient in terms of what you capture.

Personally, I might stick with the video camera, if it were me.

One other suggestion - get a member of each side of the family to be your boom swinger for interviews/messages to the couple. They know the interviewees and will get good stuff from them, while holding the mic closer to their faces - that way, you get better sound and better stuff coming out of their mouths.

Ben.

Trent Watts January 9th, 2012 10:55 PM

Forget the on-camera mic and just record the music. Record interviews with guests in a separate, quieter area and cut that together with dance footage.