DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Help with Spot Metering in Video Mode? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/504167-help-spot-metering-video-mode.html)

Steve Witt January 6th, 2012 07:49 PM

Help with Spot Metering in Video Mode?

I was wondering if many on here ever use the metering modes for exposing their frames during video shots. There is not much on this forum about metering modes. I have read the manual in the sections containing info on the meter and I believe I understand what the difference is between the different modes. But.............

I can't seem to set any metering mode while in video and/or is there a default mode for video shooting? If it is "Spot"metering, where is the spot located and can I move it within the frame (like the focus assist square)??

Any help is appreciated...thankyou

Kin Lau January 8th, 2012 06:27 PM

Re: Help with Spot Metering in Video Mode?

Spot metering is not available in video mode on the 7D. It's an "averaging" mode only.

If you have one of the supported bodies like a 5Dm2, T2i, T3i or 60D, then you can get spot metering in video mode via Magic Lantern.

Sareesh Sudhakaran January 8th, 2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Witt (Post 1707891)
I can't seem to set any metering mode while in video and/or is there a default mode for video shooting? If it is "Spot"metering, where is the spot located and can I move it within the frame (like the focus assist square)??

Any help is appreciated...thankyou

Spot metering is when the camera only meters what's inside the spot circle on the viewfinder (when spot metering is selected). It's roughly 2.3 degrees on the 7D. You cannot move the spot meter circle. It's fixed at the center.

Partial and weighted average metering are completely different things. The manual explains this clearly.

It's funny you can't find any material on the web related to spot metering. If you want to check whether your camera meters spot in video mode, simply turn on the mode and aim the center at something that contrasts what lies outside the circle. If it meters for the bright area only, then it works.

Spot metering is the technique most professionals use when lighting with a light meter. That is the route you should lean towards if you are serious about lighting and videography. Hope this helps.

Sabyasachi Patra April 1st, 2012 08:33 AM

You will not get spot metering in video. The metering in video is centre weighted.

Also, better to use manual metering and set the shutter speed and aperture manually. Else, it will keep on changing and you will have a tough time doing the colour correction.