T3i ND Filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 12th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Major Player

T3i ND Filter

Hi,

I am looking to purchase my first ND Filter, the majority of my filming is done indoors but occasionally I am asked to film the bride and groom outside while the photographer works with them. I am new to ND filters but from what I have understand is they are designed to let less light in which means you can keep your aperture low while filming outdoors.

That being the case I am a little confused as to which one to buy for video. I have heard great things about the Heliopan Variable ND 7mm but would love to know your thoughts.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: T3i ND Filter

re: Heliopan ND filter, I'll let you know in a couple of days - I got a notice from the post office today that they're holding a package for me. I purchased a Heliopan variable ND filter from a place in Germany called fotomayr (Foto Mayr - Fotofachversand seit 1983). I don't know about UK prices, but the price for the same filter here in the U.S. is about $100 more than I paid to fotomayr (199.95 Euro + shipping).

I currently own a Genus variable ND filter and am pretty satisfied with it. I would say that a VND filter is an absolute necessity for outdoor shooting. You could go with a set of single ND filters, but they would be much more hassle to use than a VND unless you have a matte box with filter holder, and even then it would be more trouble than a VND (filter holder folks will disagree, especially when using multiple lenses). With a VND filter, you simply set the shutter speed and aperture you want, then dial the VND to achieve the proper exposure. Extremely easy!
Jon Onstot is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD