T3i vs 7D Video difference - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 25th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: T3i vs 7D Video difference

Maybe they'll crack the 7D firmware. However, I think one should base a purchasing decision on the way things are now, rather than some possibility that may or may not come to fruition.

Personally, I'm hoping they crack headphone monitoring on the T3i first. :)
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
"Throwing Magic Lantern into the mix isn't really doing a fair comparison unless it's run on all cameras IMO."

I don't know why that is. Magic Lantern is available for T3i and not for the 7D. That's just the way it is. It's how it will be used in the field that is a true comparison. If you plan to use Magic Lantern for the T3i then by all means that should be what you compare the 7D to.
Because the 7D will more than likely get the firmware piggyback...eventually. My point was just that it's not an even match. It's like comparing audio processed on Sound Recorder vs Pro Tools just because they are on different machines. If you are just talking functionality no variables in mind, then Pro Tools...or in this case Magic Lantern, has the clear advantage. If and when it comes to the 7D, the comparisson starts all over again.
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #18
Major Player

7D will never get Magic Lantern developed further, the developers have stated.

There is a hard firmware counter integrated into the camera to not allow constant foreign firmware booting which is what ML is. Once you hit the firmware limit, the camera locks up for good and you can no longer update firmware. If you search there is discussion detailing this problem. Its unfortunate really.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #19
Major Player

Got it. Thanks Justin I wasn't aware of that.
John Stakes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD