Matching T3i and 5D Image - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 1st, 2012, 07:21 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Matching T3i and 5D Image

Nigel, is it not over rated, it is a fact in test and in real life, ISO 1250 is cleaner than ISO 800
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:36 AM   #17
Major Player

For discussion sakes, here is a video detailing noise between the ISOs.

https://vimeo.com/20239453

Now obviously this is with lens cap on and completely crushed blacks so it mainly has to do with dark noise (which is where most noise is anyway) so just use it as a point of reference.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:39 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Nigel, is it not over rated, it is a fact in test and in real life, ISO 1250 is cleaner than ISO 800
Not on my 600D(T3i) it isn't.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Major Player

Given that the T3i and the 7D have the same sensor, it should be identical (relatively) to the results of this test:

https://vimeo.com/10473734
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:30 PM   #20
Major Player

we tried to match this as well.
i think the iso is not a big part to match the colors. WB is. // or WB shift.

on a 4200 on a 5D, since t31 or 7D(more yellow), we tried to dial 600 less we got a pretty close match.

the disadvantage of this is ofcourse having multicams and you have to communicate the dials all the time with each shooter.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:21 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
Given that the T3i and the 7D have the same sensor, it should be identical (relatively) to the results of this test:

https://vimeo.com/10473734
Looks like the guy forgot to take the lens cap off:-) Frankly that sort of test is just plain pointless. Those clips are by definition so underexposed as to be off the scale. If the image isn't exposed correctly then all bets are off. MPEG4 video compression is a very complicated beast & what happens with video noise is way more complex than would be tested by shooting blackness.

Looking at real life footage ISO1250 to my eye is too noisy on the 600D/T3i whereas ISO800 is acceptable. However if it's necessary to use ISO1250 in order for the image to be exposed correctly then that is what I will use. If it's a choice between correctly exposed but noisy & underexposed & crap then I can live with some noise.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD