DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Record time on a 16 gig card? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/505801-record-time-16-gig-card.html)

Bruce S. Yarock March 3rd, 2012 01:36 PM

Record time on a 16 gig card?

I haven't used my 7d for any longer events lately ( bought the Sony FS100) but we're shooting a multi cam concert tomorrow. I and another guy will be shooting 7d's on stage, with 3 sony's in the auditorium.. I can't remember the excact record time on a 16gig card at 1080 30. Anyone know off hand?
I should have enough cards but want to make sure.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
P.S. The 7d holds up beautifully with the Sony FS100...just have to do some color correction.

Bruce S. Yarock March 3rd, 2012 01:40 PM

re: Record time on a 16 gig card?

Also, does the length of the clips have any effect on the overall mminutes the card will record?
Bruce Yarock

Loren Simons March 3rd, 2012 08:55 PM

Since you can only record a maximum of 12 minutes per single take, and that is a total of 4GBs, you'll technically get 48 minutes per card, but I usually call it quits after 40. Once the card gets too full I usually start getting buffer errors, that's when I know it's time to switch!

Cheers,
Loren Simons

Bruce S. Yarock March 3rd, 2012 09:19 PM

Thanks, Loren.
So for a 2 hour concert, I ought to be safe with a 32 and 16 for each camera. I actually have 2 x32's and 5 x 16's , but I want to use a third 7d fpr close ups from back near the sound board. But I might be pushing it. I've got plenty for 2 7d's, but maybe one 16 short for the third.
Bruce Yarock

Loren Simons March 3rd, 2012 10:51 PM

So if you have three cameras, with 2 x 32GB cards and 5 x 16GB cards, I would break it down like this:

7D #1 > 1x 32GB +2x 16GB = 160 minutes run time
7D #2 > 1x 32GB +2x 16GB = 160 minutes run time
7D #3 > 1x 16GB = 40 minutes

The reason I would give the first two cameras the additional 16GB cards is because if you miss even the last three minutes of the concert, it will be painfully obvious when those cameras are no longer being cut to. Also because the camera grabbing tight inserts (#3) will probably only be rolling for 20 seconds at a time, anything that camera gets is pretty much added spice.

I could be off though in your formatting, just my thoughts with the given information, hope it helped!

Cheers,
Loren Simons

Bruce S. Yarock March 5th, 2012 02:40 PM

Re: Record time on a 16 gig card?

Loren,
I was worried that I wouldn'r have enough cards , so I only used 2 of the 7d's. We shut down in between many of the pieces and didn't even totally fill up a 32 gig card each! I could have let the guy doing the static lock down saftey cam ( my fs100) use his 7d in addition for close ups and pans, but didn't think we'd have enough cards. So I had him use my Canon HV30 isntead. I went home with 5 empty 16 gig cards...Duh.
Thanks for the info anyways.
Bruce Yarock