DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Sell a Body for a Lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/506069-sell-body-lens.html)

Tariq Peter March 13th, 2012 11:30 AM

Sell a Body for a Lens

Hi All,

I have ordered a 5DMK3 and need some more glass as I only have the 35mm Samyang 1.4.
I was debating on which to sell either the 600D or the XHA1 as I own them both.

The massive advantage of the XHA1 is the autofocus, I record lots of Asian weddings and the dances can go on for at least an hour e.g. nice Mehndi dance part1 - YouTube having the XHA1 on a tripod means the hard work that the girls put into the dance will always be on tape and nothing is missed while I fly round them with my 5DMK3!

On the other hand the 600D is a perfect backup camera in case the 5DMK3 dies god forbid as couples are paying for a cinematic wedding and the XHA1 does not come close to the 5DMK3.

Would love to hear your thoughts..

Noa Put March 13th, 2012 01:42 PM

Re: Sell a Body for a Lens

If I was on a budget and sold cinematic weddings I would buy two 600d bodies, a Samyang 14, 35 and 85mm lens and then a sony cx740 and that total would add to up to the cost of a single Canon 5d mark III body only :) (at least in Belgium it does where the mark 3 is twice as expensive as the mark 2 at this moment)

But, this doesn't realy help you since you already ordered the new 5D :) Considering the type of weddings you do I would sell your xh-a1 (if you don't need xlr) and buy a sony cx740, first of all it's tapeless, it's lens goes much wider then any camera in its range (which is a benefit if you put it on a tripod to film very long dances as you will get a much wider field of view compared to your xh-a1) The image will be sharper, the colors will be more saturated and it handles gain much better and it records good sound, at least miles better then any dslr. I know this because my xr520 outperforms my xh-a1, not on functionality as with any very small handycam you need to use the lcd screen to access a lot features like focus or exposure if you want manual control but imagewise it sometimes puts my xh-a1 to shame, especially in dark places. I filmed a dance recital a few days ago and the lighting was quite dim and I had to use the xr520 as my a-cam and the xh-a1 as b-cam (at 3db gain because it produces so much noise compared to the sony) and the footage of the small Sony was just great looking with colors "popping" from the screen compared to the flat noisy image of the xh-a1. Only thing that was a "problem" if I had to change the exposure as that takes much more time then on my xh-a1. But the automatic setting of the small sony is also very good, only not when it's too dark because the focus will start hunting so you need to go manual then.

In the meantime I would hire a lens or 2 for every wedding you do, at least here that's very cheap and while you do weddings you can start saving to get your own extra set of lenses.

Murray Christian March 13th, 2012 03:49 PM

We've all been there, but don't walk through that door. It's not worth it. If you're thinking about selling your body for a lens it's time to take a break and get some perspective...

oh, "a body". Sorry. I'll be going now.

James Donnelly March 13th, 2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray Christian (Post 1720739)
We've all been there, but don't walk through that door. It's not worth it. If you're thinking about selling your body for a lens it's time to take a break and get some perspective...

oh, "a body". Sorry. I'll be going now.

You have to ask yourself, how much would someone be willing to pay for your body. I mean, it's not in brand new condition any more.

Sareesh Sudhakaran March 13th, 2012 10:17 PM

With the T3i you can maintain the "look" of your production, and you can always be ready with two lenses for different points of view.