60D for still photo use primarily? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 16th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #1
Major Player

60D for still photo use primarily?

I know a lot of people around here use the 60D for video, but I'm wondering how it fares as a still camera, in comparison to the 7D? I have a Sony Fs100, and am using canon glass (have the Tokina 11-16, and Canon EF 17-55 IS so far). I'm thinking of picking up a canon camera, primarily for still photo use, since I've already started acquiring the glass. Since my current lens are for crop sensor, it ruled out a 5D (which is fine for me). I'm not so much interested in the video side of the camera, but would still use it as a "B" cam if needed.

Just wondering what everyone thought of the 60D for still photos?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Re: 60D for still photo use primarily?

Hi Jeff

I have the 7D and 60D, never use the 7D now.
I shoot 50/50 video and stills with the 60D for my business.
The flip out screen is a must and that's why I don't use the 7D any more.
Plus I have magic lantern on it.
7D use to always over heat for me over here in the Australian during the summer outdoors.
SD cards are much better too, everything now days has a SD slot.

Could you please tell me how you got the Tokina 11-16 onto the FS100.
I have been looking at that camera because the video moire and compression banding the Canon DSLR's put out is starting to get to me. Have you found any compression banding using the FS100.

Cheers Paul
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #3
Major Player

The 7D is a lot sturdier, has more autofocus points and shoots about twice as fast as the 60D.
It's got more dedicated photography features, in other words. It's a matter of how hard core you are I guess. If you plan on doing a lot of moving subject high speed work out in the jungle your choice is made.
Otherwise the picture ought to be about the same and the screen on the 60D is really handy for those funny angles (like sitting the camera on the ground or pointing it sideways for sneaky shots etc). I like it, but I'm not especially hard core.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wags View Post
Could you please tell me how you got the Tokina 11-16 onto the FS100.
I have been looking at that camera because the video moire and compression banding the Canon DSLR's put out is starting to get to me. Have you found any compression banding using the FS100.

Cheers Paul
Hey Paul,

I'm using the Metabones adaptor. It just came out about 2 months ago. It's an e mount to eos. It allows for electronic aperture control of the lens, and use of image stabilization (if the lens has it). It gives f stop information on the fs100 screen.

Here's a link to a discussion about it, over in the fs100 forum.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-avc...t-adapter.html
Old March 17th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Trustee

I use my 60D about 50/50 for both video and stills. Being a retired still photographer, I'm fairly critical of what I'd use for still work and the 60D fits that bill just fine. I'm also quite happy with the video performance I get out of it, the lens selection available doesn't hurt a bit for either kind of application.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano View Post
Hey Paul,

I'm using the Metabones adaptor. It just came out about 2 months ago. It's an e mount to eos. It allows for electronic aperture control of the lens, and use of image stabilization (if the lens has it). It gives f stop information on the fs100 screen.

Here's a link to a discussion about it, over in the fs100 forum.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-avc...t-adapter.html
Cheers Jeff, that's great. It would even work on the smaller NEX cameras too I suppose.
Any chance of a pic with the Tokina 11-16 m on it.

If you get a 60D, install magic lantern onto the SD card, it allows you to do all kinds of cool things.
I always have the LCD flipped out in live view when shooting stills on the tripod and video on the steadicam, hardly ever use the view finder now days. :-) Also when taking images you can have it flipped out so you face does not smudge the LCD each time you look into the viewfinder too. They really should put swivel LCD's on all the DSLR's.

But yes if you are after rapid shots then the 7D may be better. I cannot see any difference in image quality between the two.
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wags View Post
Any chance of a pic with the Tokina 11-16 m on it.
I'll post a picture when I get home from work tonight. And yes, the Metabones adapter would allow for use on smaller nex cameras. This has been my debate as of lately. Use my adapter and eos lens on a nex 5n or get a 60D or 7D.

I know from a video standpoint, getting nex 5n would match up better picture wise, but I really am looking for more of a dedicated "stills" only DSLR, with maybe some pick up for video.
Old March 17th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Trustee

The T3i / 60D / 7D / 5D cameras are all still cameras, not video cameras. They all perform excellently when it comes to still photography. Since you have crop factor lenses, and you prefer Canon, any of the first three will do. They all have similar sensors and take near-indistinguishable images from each other.

The differences boil down to:
1. More/better control and buttons, more options in the menu
2. Body material and strength
3. Weather sealing and dust protection
4. Extra display
5. Ergonomics, etc
6. The quality, coverage, magnification of the viewfinder
7. The design of the mirror - pentaprism vs pentamirror

And a few others that I may have missed. My opinion? If you are carrying around a lot of gear, I'd say go for a mirrorless camera like the 5n, GH2, XPro1, whatever fits your budget and style.
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Major Player

ok Paul (not to take away from the topic of this thread though), here are a couple of pictures of my FS100, with Metabones adapter, and Canon and Tokina Lens. First one is the Canon 17-55, and 2nd is the Tokina 11-16.
Attached Thumbnails
60D for still photo use primarily?-dsc00848.jpg   60D for still photo use primarily?-dsc00849.jpg  

Old March 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #10

Hey cheers Jeff, still small enough to fly on a steadicam.
The Canons with the Tokina are prefect for flying but the moire is terrible.
Like if I shot your venetian blinds there hand held, how is the Sony for moire.

Back to the DSLR.
With magic lantern installed on the 60D, multi exposure shots (HDR) are easy and you can do things like timelapse, keep the shutter open for long periods or hold the mirror up and take silent images. The 7D is more solid and looks more pro but that does not bother me. I have had the 60D in the rain and near on 100% humidity / very hot days. The 7D will over heat outside in the hot Aussie sun.

With the 60D most of my property images I don't even bother to shoot at max raw (med) only if I am taking a outside shot and will be cropping the image. On a number of occasions I have held the camera above my head looking up into the LCD to nail certain shots, held the came down low with the LCD out nailing images from a small R44 Helli. Shot wide video of the Great Barrier Reef from the back seat on a plane with the camera right angles for an overseas network. Shot Dolphins on the bow of a boat by holding the camera out and down in front of me with the LCD flipped out. With a swivel LCD it certainly opens up much more shooting angles and like I said before I hardly ever use the view finder any more. Live view with a swivel LCD makes taking images a piece of cake.
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Major Player

As mentioned by others, it's basically down to performance and not image quality. The 100% viewfinder, 8fps and faster more flexible AF would make shooting stills easier for most conditions, but if those factors are not as important, then the 60D is likely the better choice, spend that money elsewhere.

I have the 7D and T3i among others, I wouldn't hesitate to use the T3i for a lot of photographic tasks, so the 60D is more than adequate in many circumstances.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD