Best for Video: 7D or 5d MK2?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 30th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Best for Video: 7D or 5d MK2??

Hi Al,

You mentioned the addition of an Anton Bauer eclipz. Can you provide a link to this product if this is ok with the site managers?

Does this system do away with the Canon batteries? If so, this may be what I'm looking for as I use a lot of Canon batteries on a full day of shooting.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:47 AM   #17
Inner Circle

The 7D is a poor choice for video unless you need rugged weatherproofing. It uses the same batteries so if you already owned a 5D it might be an option. The video is the same quality whichever APS-C Canon DSLR you choose so a 7D will be no better than your current 600D. The 5D has much better low light performance & a better choice of wide angle lenses plus the whole full frame shallow DoF look that is so attractive.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 05:44 PM   #18
Trustee

Bokeh is often a figment of a clients imagination...or more likely the real affect of slightly more DOF in the 7D using lenses with similar FOV. :)
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:22 PM   #19
Major Player

I've understood what Bokei is, thanks. The jello issue I always attributed to people describing some aspects of bokei, but likely I just misunderstood. I have thought that the DOF was great with the 5, I liked it's bokei, but hearing some clients complain, I realize it's pushing the envelope about what some people expect.
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:38 AM   #20
Major Player

the 5D also has slightly more dynamic range than the 7D, which is never a bad thing...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:57 AM   #21
Major Player

Depends what you shoot.
If its anything longer than 12 mins you need Magic lantern to auto restart.
Without it the camera becomes useless.
7d has no ML
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:39 AM   #22
Major Player

You might be right Tony, but it sure seemed that when things were out of focus (backgrounds) on the 5D they were way more like "jello" than on my similarly equipped 7D at about the same FOV. He could have had a 1.8 as compared to my 2.8 I suppose. That could affect the look and feel. Whatever, the client did not like it and said so.

Simon, I have been less than accurate this week in my posts...(G). It's ELIPZ that I have.
Anton/Bauer - 7.2V Camera Batteries and Accessories
(I have no commercial interest in this product)

Yes, it replaces the battery, by using the Canon AC adapter (I don't remember the part number), you have to undo the battery door, and the cord slides through a little slot next to the door. Then you plug the cable into the ELIPZ adapter instead of into the AC adapter. The battery is big enough that you will have to mount it on a rail system, figure out a mounting bracket for the thing, or it can mount under the camera. AB has thoughtfully designed it to have a screw mount underneath and a removeable camera tripod mount on top. It's a little awkward but does the job. Would likely work as well with the 5. If you need a lot of power throughout the day, and you are not doing run and gun, I think it works well.

Yes, the 5 is better video quality overall, from what I've seen on friends 5's. And yes, I've had some low light experience on dimly lit stages with the 7D and I do agree that it would have been nice to have the 5's larger sensor.

This short video sampler for an indoor bluegrass festival was shot with my 7D entirely. As you can see, some of it is not great,(especially stuff under fluorescent) and some really nice, with stage lighting. Handheld or using a monopod. I shot this and edited it on site the same day, so I didn't spend a lot of time color grading it. (which is why I post it, as it reflects a pretty much normal output of a 7D under typical inside low light before a lot of post). It was a quick turnaround to boost attendance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD