Lens is emitting strange sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Lens is emitting strange sound

Hi all,

I just revamped my whole shooting equipment last week and went DSLR with the 60D and boy am I glad I did it.

I only bought one lens and it is the Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di. Here's the situation:

-In video mode the lens makes a "tick" every time I close or open the iris

-When I am in photo mode it doesn't

I went back to the store (a big and reputable one here in Montreal) and they told me that it was normal because I am in "Live mode"

What's your take on this?

Thanks

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Lens is emitting strange sound

Is it an IS lens? The IS can cause the lens to make a ticking noise, mine does.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Jordan,
IS as in "Image stabilizer"...I don't think so.

The full name for the lens is : Tamron SP AF 27-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro

Thanks
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #4
New Boot

If the sound is identical with the one the camera makes when it takes a photo, I must tell you that it's the same on mine and my 5 lenses. I really don't know what is really happening, but I'm pretty sure it is normal.

Also, go in any photo mode, then press the record button to go in Live Mode. If it is normal, it should make the same sound.

Last edited by Marius Tatarasanu; May 9th, 2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: new info...geez
Marius Tatarasanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That is what it is supposed to do, it's the sound of the aperture changing. You don't hear it in photo mode because the camera doesn't actually adjust the iris to your setting until you press the shutter, when you "change" the iris in photo mode you are just telling the camera's light meter what setting will be applied when you press the shutter. You can preview your aperture in the viewfinder before taking the picture with the "depth of field preview" button if your DSLR has it.
Nevin Styre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD