Does APS-C have lower resolution? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 5th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does APS-C have lower resolution?

I just wondered, because of the crop factor, does the Canon have a lower resolution than the 5D? It makes sense to me that, by "zooming" in on the image of the mirror 1.6x, it'd have less definition.
Charles House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Major Player

re: Does APS-C have lower resolution?

Resolution is the same.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Major Player

re: Does APS-C have lower resolution?

I think you're mixing a few things up there.
There is probably some relationship between resolution and sensor size. But in the sense I think you're talking about there isn't a direct relationship. If an APS-C size sensor has a lower resolution than the 5D it's because the sensor itself has fewer pixels. It's not necessarily related to size.

The crop factor is not a case of zooming in as such, but a way of accounting for the sensor's smaller field of view. Most of the way we comprehend the focal length of a lens is in relation to a 35mm image. When people think of, say, a 50mm lens they have an idea what sort of field of view you are going to get from that already. But that is only true on a 35mm camera. Canon APS-C is, I think, about 22mm. So using a 50mm lens on that will have a smaller field of view than it would on a 35mm. The ratio of 1.6 tells you roughly which focal length would achieve the same field of view on a 35mm camera (so a 50mm lens on an APS-C has roughly the same field of view as an 80mm focal length on a 35mm camera).

Hopefully that makes sense. Clever people will surely be along soon to point out where my terminology is messed up.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD