Question about full frame - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: Question about full frame

Thanks for posting the photos. Is this your fist FF?

I'd love to know if there is any noticeable difference (if any) when shooting video.

Can you pan faster, reduced stutter?

A night shot comparison at high ISO would be swell! ;-)
Stuart Meed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Re: Question about full frame

Yes, my first FF, and I've only shot DSLR with my 7D until last week. I plan to do more A-B tests with the 7D and 5D3. The most noticeable improvement is in moire' reduction, which Canon obviously worked very hard to quell in this new camera and will make a drastic improvement on my interviews (clothing and hair) and b-roll of any buildings I shoot (bricks, wires, etc). All the ballyhoo about 5D3 softness... I'll just sharpen in post to suit.

Stutter has never been a problem for me with the 7D, assuming I shoot at 1/50 (180 degree shutter), which is 99.9% of the time. Judder is more of a film/framerate issue with faster pans than the 24p allows. Rolling shutter is likely an issue with both cameras, but is seldom a problem for me and what/how I film things.

ISO comparisons between the two is substantial, as well. Noise becomes a factor past ISO800 on the 7D, and looks to me like ISO6400 is entirely usable on the 5D3. I'll see if I can find some time to film the two bodies at night in the next few days.

Other than the obvious crop FOV/DOF differences, the FF just seems to give me more pleasing skin tones and (yes, this term is overused) filmic image. I want to do some ECUs of a face to A-B the two cams, and see if it's not just my expectations showing.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD