Focus Peaking in Magic Lantern - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 28th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Focus Peaking in Magic Lantern

The focus peaking/screen corruption bug seems to have been fixed on my 600d. I like the ability to press Info and toggle the ML display on or off.

Monochrome display for focus checking looks useful as well, all in all a good update.

Now I just need to figure out why I can't get the intervalometer working now, but that's for another day.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Mike

Do you mind tell me a little bit more about the Monochrome display for focus checking? how to do that?

THx
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #18
Trustee

Sure.... now I haven't put this to the test yet, so it remains to be seen how accurate the peaking is.

I'm really not sure if this is from the new ML update or I somehow missed it before. Pressing the "info" button on my 600d (T3i) it toggles between the Canon overlays and the Magic Lantern one. I guess it's useful if you want to just flip to ML to check focus, for example, then go back to the Canon overlays.

On the "LiveV" menu in Magic Lantern, the "Focus Peak" options accessed via the Q button has a new paramter, called "Gray". You can toggle this off or on.

On a real video camera, a mono display with colored focus peaking is a great aid to focus. It makes the peaking much easier to see than on a color display, it really jumps out at you.

Of course, this depends on the peaking being accurate, and I think you'd expressed some concerns about that in another thread. It'll need some testing to see if it is reliable, and maybe playing with the Peaking paramters a bit.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks for explaining. I have been using Focus Peaking for the past few weddings. Now when I edit them I noticed they aren't accurate at all (some scene is quite off too). I don't have issue seeing those color dots.

For those weddings I did without focus peaking, I have better focusing result by nudging the focus wheel back and forth to determine the mid point.

Now with the 600D / t3i crop zoom display fixed, I think setting Magic zoom to

- Always On
- Small Size
- 1:1 display
- SW corner

That will assist me better in manual focusing with the Magic Zoom windows always on without interfering screen composition.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD