DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Unusual problem, won't auto focus. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/508497-unusual-problem-wont-auto-focus.html)

Jeff Troiano June 13th, 2012 03:17 PM

Unusual problem, won't auto focus.

Hey all, can't seem to figure out what setting I've changed, and hope maybe someone can help me out. I have a 60D, with the latest version of Magic Lantern on it. Use to, when I half pressed the shutter button, it would auto focus. It will still do this if I go to auto mode, but any other mode, and it doesn't auto focus any more. All I get is a flashing star next to the battery icon, when I'm looking through the eye piece. Can't figure out what I've changed. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advanced,
Jeff

Jordan Hooper June 14th, 2012 12:04 AM

Re: Unusual problem, won't auto focus.

Yeah, you probably inadvertently changed to "back button focus."
It's in the custom functions: C.Fn IV -1

Watch this video:

Matija Petrovic June 16th, 2012 03:30 AM

Jordan is right, I have the same problem

Jeff Troiano June 17th, 2012 08:57 PM

Thanks guys, you were correct. Im not sure how I got in there and changed the settings to begin with. But all is good now.

Juan Carlos Solorzano Lara March 4th, 2013 11:22 AM

Hey guys! I'm new in here... I'm from Costa Rica.

I sent my camera to the repair shop in order to try to fix this issue (Half-way shutter button will AF and inmediatly shoot), thinking that was the shutter button the one causing the issue. No internal issues on my camera but still getting the issue .
I thought it was the update I made from firmware 1.1.0 to 1.1.1... so I downgraded it to 1.1.0 but same issue/ Upgraded to 1.1.1 and same issue... and used the latest Magic lantern and same issue.
Cleared all possible functions and same issue. Replaced battery, same issue. Replaced card... same issue... used like 5 different lenses... same issue...
On my case... I can see the focus point but inmediately it will take the picture.... I'm also able to autofocus using the AF-ON button but I don't really know what's happening in here...

I've already done this. All custom settings to default, C.FN IV: Operation/Others: AF and metering buttons is set to 0 so:

Meter & AF Start
Meter & AF Start
AE Lock

Yesterday I even tried 1.0.9 firmware but same issue

Any other way to solve this?

Can you please advise what is wrong with the camera?

Thanks!!

JC

Jeff Troiano March 4th, 2013 11:49 AM

This may seem simple and silly. But what lens are you using? And is the auto/manual switch set to auto focus? I briefly had a similar issue. Was doing something and flipped to manual focus. Once I was done, I forgot to switch back to auto focus. When I would press the button half way to focus and meter, it would only snap a picture.

Just a thought.