Unusual problem, won't auto focus. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 13th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Unusual problem, won't auto focus.

Hey all, can't seem to figure out what setting I've changed, and hope maybe someone can help me out. I have a 60D, with the latest version of Magic Lantern on it. Use to, when I half pressed the shutter button, it would auto focus. It will still do this if I go to auto mode, but any other mode, and it doesn't auto focus any more. All I get is a flashing star next to the battery icon, when I'm looking through the eye piece. Can't figure out what I've changed. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advanced,
Jeff
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Unusual problem, won't auto focus.

Yeah, you probably inadvertently changed to "back button focus."
It's in the custom functions: C.Fn IV -1

Watch this video:
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Jordan is right, I have the same problem
Matija Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, you were correct. Im not sure how I got in there and changed the settings to begin with. But all is good now.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Tourist

Hey guys! I'm new in here... I'm from Costa Rica.

I sent my camera to the repair shop in order to try to fix this issue (Half-way shutter button will AF and inmediatly shoot), thinking that was the shutter button the one causing the issue. No internal issues on my camera but still getting the issue .
I thought it was the update I made from firmware 1.1.0 to 1.1.1... so I downgraded it to 1.1.0 but same issue/ Upgraded to 1.1.1 and same issue... and used the latest Magic lantern and same issue.
Cleared all possible functions and same issue. Replaced battery, same issue. Replaced card... same issue... used like 5 different lenses... same issue...
On my case... I can see the focus point but inmediately it will take the picture.... I'm also able to autofocus using the AF-ON button but I don't really know what's happening in here...

I've already done this. All custom settings to default, C.FN IV: Operation/Others: AF and metering buttons is set to 0 so:

Meter & AF Start
Meter & AF Start
AE Lock

Yesterday I even tried 1.0.9 firmware but same issue

Any other way to solve this?

Can you please advise what is wrong with the camera?

Thanks!!

JC
Juan Carlos Solorzano Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Major Player

This may seem simple and silly. But what lens are you using? And is the auto/manual switch set to auto focus? I briefly had a similar issue. Was doing something and flipped to manual focus. Once I was done, I forgot to switch back to auto focus. When I would press the button half way to focus and meter, it would only snap a picture.

Just a thought.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD