DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   My life sucks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/509189-my-life-sucks.html)

Victor Nguyen July 10th, 2012 08:55 PM

My life sucks

I was a second shooter for a wedding last weekend. I use the 70-200 f2.8 newest one with IS. The base plate was loose and when I try to take the body off, the lens fell to the floor. Repair are gonna be $460. On a student's budget that's a lot. I could almost buy a new camera with that money. Just coming here to rant, anybody else broke equipment before?

Khoi Pham July 10th, 2012 09:09 PM

Re: My life sucks

Cheer up grass hopper, couldn't be as bad as this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciqSdgLh_1w

Victor Nguyen July 10th, 2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 1742742)
Cheer up grass hopper, couldn't be as bad as this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciqSdgLh_1w

man I lulz so hard. I like how his assistant take the camera first and then try to help the guy up

Charles Newcomb July 10th, 2012 10:32 PM

Several years ago I was shooting a training session of cops driving on a frozen lake to improve their ice-driving skills. As the last car passed by me I heard a cracking sound, then...

You guessed it: My brand new Sony EX3 (with two $500 radio-mics attached) and I dropped straight down into 6 feet of ice water.

Life goes on. I promise.

Victor Nguyen July 10th, 2012 10:54 PM

how you get the money to replace those equipment? I can't imagine what would happen if I total the 70-200 and have to pay for a whole new lens.

Charles Newcomb July 10th, 2012 11:28 PM

I tried to bully my homeowner's insurance to cough up the ten grand, but no such luck. That's why god invented credit cards. Took me almost a year to pay it off.

Khoi Pham July 11th, 2012 11:03 AM

You should have insurance, I have it with Travellers for almost 20 years now, but never broke or loss any equipment, but better safe than sorrow.

Noel Lising July 11th, 2012 12:00 PM

Nothing worst than what happened to a photographer friend of mine. Someone stole his camera during a wedding shoot. All the photos taken (Bride prep, ceremony, park) gone. It got stolen at the reception. Good thing he has a back-up camera. So imagine shooting the reception knowing that you have to break the news to the couple.

I'll take the $ 460, 1 wedding gig should pay for that.

Hope this cheers you up.

Kren Barnes July 13th, 2012 10:47 AM

Ouch...oh well just think that it could have been much, much worse ..
speaking of stolen equipment, at a wedding reception last year, someone swiped my vintage Nikkor 135mm lens , Vixia cam HG10 and a case with 8 SD cards (16GB), thankfully they grabbed the wrong SD case since those were blank and only for emergency backup. oh yeah this was at a cop's wedding :(

Kren

Victor Nguyen July 13th, 2012 01:02 PM

hey Kren, I'm thinking of buying vintage Nikkor 135 lens for weddings, what you think? It was between 135 or 180

Art Varga July 16th, 2012 08:32 PM

I've had a lot of close calls the past two years but the odds caught up with me as I had back to back lens drops at my last two weddings. My 24-70 2,8 and a 24 1.4. Great experience with Canon repair in Jamesburg NJ. They fixed one for free and the other (which was badly damaged) for a reasonable fixed fee. Plus they gave me a first time customer discount and a very fast turnaround.

Art

Victor Nguyen July 17th, 2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Varga (Post 1743900)
I've had a lot of close calls the past two years but the odds caught up with me as I had back to back lens drops at my last two weddings. My 24-70 2,8 and a 24 1.4. Great experience with Canon repair in Jamesburg NJ. They fixed one for free and the other (which was badly damaged) for a reasonable fixed fee. Plus they gave me a first time customer discount and a very fast turnaround.

Art

are you kidding me? they fixed it for free. And how you keep dropping it? it wasn't my fault I dropped it, it was the quick release plate fault. What's your excuse?

Richard Cavell July 17th, 2012 05:34 AM

I learned how to make video at RMITV, a student video/TV production house. For years the cameras have been in very high rotation, doing outdoors, indoors, going through all sorts of abuse. Every camera would be broken needing repair about once every 6 months and completely destroyed about every 2 years. It's just part of the thing, man. Relax. Treat the camera as a consumable, not a gold-plated investment.

Richard

Noa Put July 17th, 2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Relax. Treat the camera as a consumable, not a gold-plated investment.
Would you relax if your ex1r would smash to pieces falling on a concrete floor? :D

I at least treat all my equipment as gold-plated investment, I have worked hard for it so I do whatever I can to protect that, if you are on a students budget like Victor and expensive equipment, which he probably had to save a longer time for, gets damaged, that hurts for sure.

Kren Barnes July 17th, 2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen (Post 1743281)
hey Kren, I'm thinking of buying vintage Nikkor 135 lens for weddings, what you think? It was between 135 or 180

"I believe i paid $125 for mine and used it quite a bit until it got swiped...it was an ok budget lens for the money...got a Canon 135mm f2 to replace it.

cheers

Kren