DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Non-OEM batteries for Canon (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/509266-non-oem-batteries-canon.html)

Kren Barnes July 13th, 2012 10:54 AM

Non-OEM batteries for Canon

Hi,

Just wondering how many here use Non-OEM batteries for their Canons? Just got a couple of Non-OEM batteries for our 60Ds and have previously read some of the risks/failures associated with using 3rd party batts, just wondering if anyone has had a bad experience. I only plan to use them as emergency back ups just in case.

Cheers

Kren

John Estcourt July 14th, 2012 10:49 AM

Re: Non-OEM batteries for Canon

Hi Kren, I've got a bag full of non Canon batteries, mostly from Amazon, but some from Ebay.
They have all been fine..so far. The higher capacity ones seam to work as advertised and they are so cheap I don't really worry about them too much.
I purchased the battery grip from Ebay as well and for the price I really cannot complain.

John Wiley July 18th, 2012 07:50 AM

I had three non-genuine batteries for my 60D and they were all junk. One fell apart after a two weeks use (cracked open at the joins in the casing, was never dropped or mishandled). One did not sit properly in the charger and needed to be held in place with sticky tape in order to charge it up. The third worked perfectly for about three months until it caught fire on the charger... thank god it happened when it did and not while I was asleep. After that incident I promptly disposed of all my non-genuine batteries and bought 3 genuine LP-E6's (and a new charger just to be safe). A few hundred bucks seemed a pretty good price to pay if it meant preventing a possible house fire.

Jordan Hooper July 19th, 2012 10:38 AM

Kren I see you're also in Canada so I'll tell you where I got mine:
REPLACEMENT BATTERY FOR CANON REBEL 7D 60D 5D MARK II LP-E6 [LP-E6] - $22.00 : ProPhotographyGear.COM!
I've had no problems with it and it holds a charge as well as the OEM one.

John's post about one catching on fire made me a little worried but I see the specs say "short circuit and overload protection" so that makes me feel better. Also has 6 months warrantee.

Mark Von Lanken July 24th, 2012 10:15 PM

I have bought several non OEM batteries and have had mixed results. Most of the ones I purchased from eBay have not worked out so well. The ones that have worked out the best are from here.
LP-E6 Fully Decoded Battery for Canon 5D, 7D, 60D | L.A. Color Online

Franklin Bencosme July 27th, 2012 05:19 PM

I found this ones and they work very good !! the best is the PRICE

2800mAh 7.4V Li-ion Battery Pack For Canon LPE6 LP-E6 EOS 60D Camera | eBay

Nigel Barker July 28th, 2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin Bencosme (Post 1745762)
I found this ones and they work very good !! the best is the PRICE

2800mAh 7.4V Li-ion Battery Pack For Canon LPE6 LP-E6 EOS 60D Camera | eBay

The standard Canon battery is only 1800mAh so if this cheap battery were truly the same physical size but with 2800mAh capacity then that would be fantastic not to mention quite a breakthrough in battery technology. Sadly I suspect that the claimed capacity is false. Keep an eye out when buying cheap replacements as some of the cheap don't even claim to be 1800mAh but as little as 1400mAh.

Steve Wolla August 1st, 2012 02:21 PM

I have 2 Canon batteries and two Delkin batteries for my 60D.

I have used Delkin brand replacement batteries with excellent results, and they cost about $20 less than Canon's with no perceived loss in performance.

I recommend them, and if I were in the market for more batteries thats what I would get. And they are available from my local camera store.

Charles Newcomb August 1st, 2012 05:54 PM

I have invested a great deal in my 60D and my 5DMk lll, so using on-the-cheap aftermarket batteries and things like Magic Lantern aren't for me. I feel much better with the Canon logo on my camera, lenses and accessories. I've only had a warranty issue once and I was glad there weren't any 3rd-party issues I had to explain away. Canon took care of me. A few bucks extra is worth it for the peace of mind.

Nigel Barker August 2nd, 2012 01:39 AM

It's more than a few bucks. We have approximately 30 batteries for the 5D2/5D3. A few are genuine Canon while the rest cost approximately 1/3 the Canon price for a saving in total of over £1000/$1500.