DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   old manual primes recommendation and review. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/509426-old-manual-primes-recommendation-review.html)

Victor Nguyen July 19th, 2012 02:25 AM

old manual primes recommendation and review.

I'm looking for old manual primes. I have done extensive research into Nikkors and now want to know more information about pentax, yashica, m42, ect...

Simon Wood July 19th, 2012 03:20 AM

Re: old manual primes recommendation and review.

This doesn't answer your question exactly. I use old Nikkors, based on research I found these to be the most adaptable to different cameras, and offer the best price to quality ratio.

These are all interesting articles dealing with different lens choices:

Still Lenses That Can Grace The Big Screen | Hurlbut Visuals

Which…lenses to buy? | Philip Bloom

Victor Nguyen July 19th, 2012 03:52 AM

what adapters do you use Simon?

Simon Wood July 19th, 2012 05:56 AM

I use a Fotodiox Pro Adapter:

Its quite expensive compared to others out there, however it is all metal construction and provides a very firm grip. Some of the cheaper adapters move a little when you focus your lens, but not this one. If you are going to be doing any rack-focusing then you will really want to have an adapter with no 'play'.

The extra price is worth not having the aggregation of a poor quality adapter being the weak link between an expensive camera and an expensive lens. I went down that route before, and learned that its always better to go for the quality options.

This is not a smart adapter (no electronic contacts) as my lenses are fully manual.

Lee Mullen July 19th, 2012 07:25 AM

Which Nikkors would you recommend for both a 600D and GH2? Primes and zooms.

Victor Nguyen July 19th, 2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalan Salur (Post 1744365)

@ Jalan go to Nikon Nikkor Lenses
go down to the manual section and you'll find a lot of information about nikkor lenses.

@ Simon. I am not liking the price of the fotodiox adapter. So do you keep one for all your lens or you buy all your lens one?

Simon Wood July 19th, 2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen (Post 1744403)
@ Simon. I am not liking the price of the fotodiox adapter. So do you keep one for all your lens or you buy all your lens one?

I just have 1 fotodiox pro adapter, so I have to change it from lens to lens. I will be buying a couple of more though.
The price is high, but I have a couple of cheap adapters in a pile next to a cheap follow focus. Backlash is a crime, and cheap adapters and cheap follow focuses just add to the overall cost when you buy the expensive ones later on. Buy the quality item first and you save money in the long run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalan Salur (Post 1744365)

I have the following primes (which work fine with a Canon DSLR):

85mm f1.8
50mm f1.4
35mm f.2
28mm f.2
I have some other lenses (some slower nikkors, a zoom, a couple of Russian lenses, but I don't really use any other than the above items). I would recommend buying the fastest lenses you can.

With regards to the GH2, the extra crop factor makes it hard o find fast wide lenses (unless they were specifically designed for the 4/3 sensor, in which case there are many fine wide lenses to choose from). Thats the reason I didn't buy a GH2 though, as you would really get locked into buying lenses for that format, which would be useless in the future if you decided to buy a S35 sensor camera.

Joel Peregrine July 19th, 2012 12:13 PM

Hi SImon,

Something you probably already know but I'm always impressed with the Nikon 35/2.0. I use it for family stuff on a t3i because its so compact. I had the Nikon 35/1.4 but found it soft wide open so I sold it and got the Samyang 35/1.4 for events, which is sharp in its own way but nothing like the 35/2.0 Nikon. If I were just getting into manual primes for video the Nikon 35/2.0, 50/1.4 and 85/2.0 would be a great start. They're sharp enough wide open and the set can be found on eBay for $400 in clean glass/user condition with a little patience and smart shopping.

Simon Wood July 19th, 2012 02:08 PM

Hi Joel: I think my Nikkor 35mm must be older than yours (its from the late 60's), as I do find it quite soft when wide open, though I do like that aesthetic.Looks like I'm using much the same set up as though (I also have a T3i).

Here is an interesting test comparing new lenses with vintage ones:

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/07/batt...oFilmSchool%29

Mark Von Lanken July 24th, 2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen (Post 1744403)

I have over a dozen fotodiox adapters. They all work great except the Pentax to EOS. Fotodiox has an eBay store where they sell the Nikon to EOS adapter for $17.95.
Fotodiox Nikon F Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Adapter (R) | eBay

Victor Nguyen July 24th, 2012 10:28 PM

man I'm hearing a lot of mix review. Some say, fotodiox cheap adapters are good, some don't like it and say the cinevate is the best and others like the fotodiox pro adapters. Lol I'm just gonna work from bottom up because pro just seems ridiculous to me.

Simon Wood July 25th, 2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 1745253)
I have over a dozen fotodiox adapters. They all work great except the Pentax to EOS. Fotodiox has an eBay store where they sell the Nikon to EOS adapter for $17.95.
Fotodiox Nikon F Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Adapter (R) | eBay

Fotodiox sell different standards of adapters. The Nikon to EOS at $17.95, is not of the same quality as the Nikon to EOS Pro adapter.

The Pro adapter is all metal and has practically zero play.

Mark Von Lanken July 25th, 2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen (Post 1745254)
man I'm hearing a lot of mix review. Some say, fotodiox cheap adapters are good, some don't like it and say the cinevate is the best and others like the fotodiox pro adapters. Lol I'm just gonna work from bottom up because pro just seems ridiculous to me.

Hi Victor,

While I do not have any experience with the Cinevate or Fotodiox Pro adapter, I'm sure they are quite good. Everything that I have used from Cinevate has been top notch quality and I have been very happy with the standard Fotodiox adapters, so it only stands to reason that the pro model would be even better...well at least they should be much better at that price point. ;-)

Mark Von Lanken July 25th, 2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wood (Post 1745266)
Fotodiox sell different standards of adapters. The Nikon to EOS at $17.95, is not of the same quality as the Nikon to EOS Pro adapter.

The Pro adapter is all metal and has practically zero play.

Hi Simon,

I do not own a Fotodiox Nikon to EOS Pro adapter so I do not know how much better it is over the cheaper adapter. The standard Fotodiox adapters that I use are also all metal and practically zero play, that is except for the Pentax to EOS units. Do you own any of the standard adapters so you can give us a good comparison? Thanks for your help.