DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Canon USA Announces EOS M Mirrorless APS-C Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/509502-canon-usa-announces-eos-m-mirrorless-aps-c-camera.html)

Chris Hurd July 22nd, 2012 10:38 PM

Canon USA Announces EOS M Mirrorless APS-C Camera

8 Attachment(s)
Full press release and photos located here:

Canon USA Announces The New EOS M Digital Camera at DVInfo.net

Some specs...

Product Specifications and Features:

-- EOS Full HD Movie mode with Movie Servo AF for continuous focus tracking of moving subjects also includes:
-- Manual exposure control
-- Multiple resolution frame rates
-- Built-in stereo microphone
-- Manual audio level adjustment
-- Video Snapshot mode with touch-screen editing
-- 18.0-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
-- ISO 100–6400 (expandable to 12800 in H mode) for video recording, ISO 100–12800 (expandable to 25600 in H mode) for still image shooting from bright to dim light and high performance Powerful DIGIC 5 Image Processor for exceptional image quality video and photos
-- Hybrid CMOS AF delivers fast autofocus speed for video and photos
-- Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor II (approximately 1,040,000 dots) with smudge-resistant coating features multi-touch operation allowing photographers to use familiar gestures such as “pinch-to-zoom” and “swiping” to scroll between pictures and Touch AF for an easy and intuitive video capture experience
-- Scene Intelligent Auto mode delivers expertly optimized photos and scene detection for amazing results even when shooting at night
-- Advanced imaging features like Handheld Night Scene mode, HDR Backlight Control mode, and seven Creative Filters provide added versatility
-- Multi-shot Noise Reduction helps preserve precious detail in photos at high ISO speeds
-- Compatible with SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards, including new Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) cards
-- Compatible with all Canon Speedlite accessories including the new Speedlite 600EX and Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT
-- Compatible with Canon’s GPS Receiver GP-E2
-- An Advanced Video Capture Device

More info in the press release linked above...

Chris Hurd July 22nd, 2012 10:46 PM

Re: Canon USA Announces EOS M Mirrorless APS-C Camera

photos updated above...

Here are the official product pages at Canon USA:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...m_22mm_stm_kit

Mark Kenfield July 23rd, 2012 12:05 AM

I'm stoked that large-sensor cameras are finally moving in this miniaturisation direction, but I don't get why they wouldn't include a couple of manual dials on the camera to offer better manual control.

The NEX-7 seems to 'get' it, hopefully others will follow soon enough.

Chris Hurd July 23rd, 2012 12:29 AM

I would have preferred a command mode dial similar to the one used on the Canon PowerShot S100.

There's not a whole lot of real estate left on the body for any other control dials, though.

Chris Soucy July 23rd, 2012 12:38 AM

I simply don't get it.

Canon had one of the best SLR's ever made back in the 80's with the A1, yeah, that one.

Why in the heck don't they produce a new digital full frame version, give us the dials back and can the stupid menus, who wants to know about menus? (I hate f^%$@&ng menus)

KISS, guys and gals, yes, KISS, that was what the A1 was about, do it again and you're onto a winner, heck let it take FD lenses, stock, and I'll even buy one, got some corkers in my antique arsenal.

The damn thing doesn't have to pilot itself to Saturn with it's computer power, just give us a camera that simply takes bloody good photos, out of the box and be SIMPLE to operate!

(Oh, and that is infinately customisable without requiring a Phd from Harvard and 25 years at Nasa, would be most convenient).

Maybe I'm asking too much.

Technology for its own sake is not, neccesarilly, progress.

KISS, people. Think, KISS!

CS

Tony Davies-Patrick July 23rd, 2012 04:32 AM

It might make a decent underwater camera because it will fit nicely in many smaller housings and also cheaper (quality) housings could be made for it. The camera would also make a nice 'spare' camera that can be mounted at different viewing angles to the main camera.

Does the ISO auto-ride up & down when in Manual mode, or can it be locked at any setting?

I just wish that it was Full Frame sensor so that those wide lenses (such as 22mm) would remain that way....

Lee Mullen July 23rd, 2012 05:37 AM

Sorry but this new camera does not inspire me one bit. What on earth is EOS-M? So you also have to buy a canon made adapter to use all your EF lenses?? No thanks. I'll stick with the GH2.

Chris Hurd July 23rd, 2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1744911)
Does the ISO auto-ride up & down when in Manual mode, or can it be locked at any setting?

From the CUSA product specifications page (link in post #2 above):

ISO Speed Range for Video: manual Setting range of ISO 100-6400, expandable to ISO 12800

ISO Speed Range for Stills: manual setting range of ISO 100-12800, expansion to ISO 25600

Mark Kenfield July 23rd, 2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalan Salur (Post 1744917)
Sorry but this new camera does not inspire me one bit. What on earth is EOS-M? So you also have to buy a canon made adapter to use all your EF lenses?? No thanks. I'll stick with the GH2.

Well the new lens mount is what allows them to make smaller lenses and mount lenses closer to the sensor (because the flange distance is considerably smaller than EF). Without the shorter flange distance, you'd lose much of the 'compactness', and that's kinda the point with mirrorless cameras.

Smaller is better as far as I'm concerned - mainly because it means I actually bother to take the camera out with me more often.

Just give us manual controls please camera gods! All I need to change is Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and WB.

Chris Hurd July 23rd, 2012 09:34 AM

According to the specs page, it has the standard manual (M) and semi-manual (Tv and Av) program modes, in addition to auto with manual override (P) and full auto (A+). I have to assume that "Custom WB" equals manual WB. Manual ISO values as indicated in post #8 above. To me, this little thing could be a handy and compact second or third camera body to add to an existing EOS kit. I'm not crazy about touch-screens but at least it has the ubiquitous omni selector button and wheel array.

Robert Turchick July 23rd, 2012 09:37 AM

I'm actually very excited about this camera as mounting a full DSLR in tight spaces or a car is a pain. I'm also glad that I didn't sell my Blackbird! This will be perfect for that application. Wait...it can lock-on and track auto focus in video? Perfect again for Blackbird or jib use! I could care less about having manual controls on a camera like this. My 5D mkIII's give me that and serve a different purpose. This is going to be a great little tool for special uses that the big DSLRs or my XF300 just can't fit!
Screw GoPro and the rest of the POV cams. The only thing I'd like to see sooner than later would be a 10mm STM lens.
As for the photo side, the jpg burst mode (17fps) is about the only thing that would be nice. I do a fair amount of action still work and this would be handy. Also the weight savings would be nice over carrying both of my 5D's around.
I'm all in!

Chris Hurd July 23rd, 2012 09:42 AM

I agree, Robert -- if I get one of these, it'll see mostly auto program mode usage... point and shoot. I'll turn to my 5D3 and a 7D if I want manual image control.

Andy Wilkinson July 23rd, 2012 09:44 AM

Ditto. Plus another way (with the $199 adapter) to get some great alternate angle shots with the EF and EF-S glass that might otherwise be sitting in my kit bag unused. Ideal for one man operators like me. Sure, it'll be great when we get a "souped up" mirror less model, with more manual controls, dials, probably bigger body etc. - but this is a good start and will be nice and portable for those other times.

Also, I wonder how it'll fly on a Merlin Steadicam with my 10-22mm Canon EF-S on - should be light enough to use all day (unlike my 7D).

UPDATE: Here's a direct link to the official video sample - not my cup of tea but worth a view.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/sam...ovie.html?high

Also, I think I read (somewhere, can't find it now!) that it has the 3x and 10x digital zoom function (that they omitted to put on the 5DMkIII), the 3X being the most desirable one of course for video. Scanned the official specs but did not see this feature mentioned - may have missed it as I'm tired. It's been a long hot day here in England. Not said that for a while! I really hope it does have that feature. Can anyone confirm?

Chris Hurd July 23rd, 2012 03:45 PM

A couple of hands-on presentations... one in English, the other in Italiano...

Steve Nunez July 23rd, 2012 05:04 PM

I'm willing to bet a "pro" version will come out- this is too basic to appeal to prosumers.
Give us mic-in and HDMI out for monitoring and some manual dials and you will have something EOS shooters will want!