Equipment list for Budget Documentary - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 14th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Equipment list for Budget Documentary

The general theory is that the intensity of light reduces according to distance, as I've written here.

However, this is almost negligible for still camera lens adapters - which are just a few millimeters in depth. I've yet to see any difference with the adapters I use. Nothing to worry about.
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #17
Trustee

With the GH2 and most adapted lenses there is no additional barrel length involved. The m4/3rds design makes the body lens flange to sensor "thinner". To maintain proper focus adapters must have a certain length.

There is no exposure increase necessary.

A better idea with the GH2 would be a couple of "prime" lenses made for it. The Lumix 20mm f1.7 (FAST GLASS!) and the Olympus Zuiko 45mm f1.8 would be wise choices. Both are sharp performers, quite lightweight and compact and much sought after. Even the "much maligned" 14-42 "kit" lens is a far better performer than most give it credit for.

The BIG advantage to "native" m4/3rds lenses is that just about all features of the GH2 work with them.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #18
New Boot

Double post
Damon Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
With the GH2 and most adapted lenses there is no additional barrel length involved. The m4/3rds design makes the body lens flange to sensor "thinner". To maintain proper focus adapters must have a certain length.

There is no exposure increase necessary.

A better idea with the GH2 would be a couple of "prime" lenses made for it. The Lumix 20mm f1.7 (FAST GLASS!) and the Olympus Zuiko 45mm f1.8 would be wise choices. Both are sharp performers, quite lightweight and compact and much sought after. Even the "much maligned" 14-42 "kit" lens is a far better performer than most give it credit for.

The BIG advantage to "native" m4/3rds lenses is that just about all features of the GH2 work with them.
Got the kit lens and the 20mm to start out. All I could afford right now...
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #20
Trustee

That's a good start. That 20mm is like a slightly "wide" normal and can be a very useful general purpose prime lens. The f1.7 aperture is very handy in low light level environments.

You can add others later.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Rambo View Post
Got the kit lens and the 20mm to start out. All I could afford right now...
Great choice, you'll be happy with it. Now you can quit worrying about gear and focus on shooting the documentary! All the best.
Old September 15th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #22
Trustee

How about the Canon 60D since it is also weather resistant?

stelios
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #23
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
How about the Canon 60D since it is also weather resistant?

stelios
Same thing as the T3i. However, the weather resistant feature is not particularly helpful unless you are going to purchase the expensive weather resistant L lenses...(I cannot afford them!)

{edit} the 60d is NOT the exact same as the 60d...but close enough

Last edited by Damon Rambo; September 16th, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #24
Major Player

strange that you think the XA10's low light performance is 'abysmal'. i actually bought one on the strength of its low light performance as well as audio capabilities.... so far i am extremely happy!

the great thing about the T3i is that you can use the 3x crop with video with minimal if any image degradation, giving you two lenses in one. if you have a 17-55 (27.2-88 on the T3i), you also have a 51-165 (81.6-495 if my math is right...). all without the hassle of changing the lens! i think that's why Canon discontinued that feature- bad for lens sales.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #25
New Boot

I guess it depends upon what you compare it to...compared to lower priced prosumer camcorders, and consumer grade camcorders, yes it has good low light performance. Compared to the VG 20, or DSLR's, its low light performance is "abysmal." Its sensor is the exact same sensor as in the lower end Canon camcorders, and its low light performance is very similar.
Damon Rambo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD