DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Magic Lantern. IT'S HERE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/511357-magic-lantern-its-here.html)

Donald McPherson October 13th, 2012 03:42 PM

Magic Lantern. IT'S HERE

Surprised no one has posted this yet.
MagicLantern.fm - Magic Lantern on 7D ? YES !

http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new...alpha-released

Andy Wilkinson October 14th, 2012 08:29 AM

Re: Magic Lantern. IT'S HERE

The feature set looks good! I'm in the middle of some critical client work where my 7D has a part to play so can't risk trying it yet.

7D Magic Lantern Features:

Audio meters while recording
Zebras
Focus peaking
Magic Zooom (via half-shutter, or focus ring)
Cropmarks, Ghost image
Spotmeter
False color
Histogram, Waveform
Vectorscope
Movie logging
Movie auto stop
Trap focus
LiveView settings (brightness, contrast…)
Level indicator
Image review tweaks (quick zoom)
and a lot more

Al Bergstein October 14th, 2012 09:10 AM

Superb! I was just contemplating moving to the gh3. I'll give this a try soon.

Sachi Bahra October 15th, 2012 04:57 PM

what exactly is magic lantern??

Justin Molush October 16th, 2012 08:47 AM

yesssssss! Finally!

Ron Little October 16th, 2012 10:41 AM

When you download ML you get a folder that has 6 folders inside and a 7d000203_MLFIR file. The directions say to

1 Update camera firmware to 2.0.3.
Is that the firmware from canon or the one in the download
from ML?

2 Format your card from the camera.
Is that to get rid of the firmware from canon?

3 Extract contents of ML.ZIP into your cards root folder.
Is that everything ML folder and the included firmware named
7D000203_ML.FIR

4 Run firmware upgrade once again.
Is this the firmware that came with ML download?

Okay, I am sure this is obvious to most of you but I want to make sure I get it right so I do not brick may camera.
Thanks

Willard Hill October 17th, 2012 09:39 AM

1. That is the latest Canon Firmware--it must be installed for Magic Lantern to work with the 7D.

2. No the original Canon Firmware is not altered. This is just so there is nothing on the card, but your DCIM and Misc folders as put there by the camera after formatting. Leave those folders there.

3. Do step three, which I do by extracting on the computer and then copying and pasting the contents to the card (using a card reader)

4. Update firmware again. This is a bit confusing at first as it does not go through an extended install process as with a full version of magic lantern. This is an Alpha Version and it has to have the Magic Lantern Firmware loaded each time the camera is powered-up--otherwise only the Canon firmware is used. In fact you will not even notice Magic Lantern has loaded unless you press the erase button, which brings up the menu. A full version of Magic Lantern does install a boot flag so that Magic Lantern does load automatically when the camera is powered up, but if I understand correctly the version for the 7D and the 5D MK III does not at this point. With this version you must always power the camera up and then select firmware update and OK. I do have it set to load a custom crop mark, audio meters, and histogram in video mode, so once magic lantern loads those features are visible on the LCD as well as exposure information, etc.

Ron Little October 17th, 2012 11:49 AM

Thanks Willard. Do you need the ML firmware on all your cards? Can you change cards after the firmware is loaded?

Willard Hill October 17th, 2012 06:22 PM

Yes you need the firmware on each card you are going to use.

Also you have to power down to change the card, and you must put the other card in and power up, which means you have to do the firmware upgrade thing again.

I may be wrong but I look at this more as just loading magic lantern manually other than doing an actual firmware upgrade. It is a pain to have to do it each time the camera is powered up.

If you are using the full version (not available on the 7D and 5D MK III yet), you have to have magic lantern installed on each card. It has been awhile since I did it, but I think you have to do the firmware update with each card you are going to use. From then on the camera will automatically boot to magic lantern when powered up as long as you are using one of these cards.

Al Bergstein October 17th, 2012 07:21 PM

I just went to look at downloading it, but it appears that this version is an alpha version. That means it's 'pre-beta'. I think I will wait until a bit later in the development cycle before jumping on. Products in that early a stage haven't yet been fully tested, and there is a higher than normal opportunity for it to have unpredictable results. FWIW.

Donald McPherson October 18th, 2012 06:29 AM

Apparently they could change the bootflag. But not from the card they would have to do it through the Canon firmware but that would land them in trouble with Canon. You will have to wait until they figure it out to run like the t2i and others listed.

Ron Little October 20th, 2012 11:28 AM

I read where they think that they will be able to get a clean HDMI out. Also that there may be a possibility of 422 in camera recording. That would be sensational.