Anyone ever tried replacing their own LCD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 24th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone ever tried replacing their own LCD?

Chalk it up to ignorance: on an outdoor shoot recently (a brilliant, sunny fall day)...I fried a few bits of my LCD with a Zacuto viewfinder (by inadvertently pointing it right at the sun while carrying the camera). Yes, I know there is a sticker on the little eyepiece cap warning about this. I didn't notice the sticker and took the eyepiece cap off because it annoyed me! (Lesson learned!)

So now there are 4-5 small yellow blobs on my LCD. It doesn't affect video or stills...it's just annoying.

I noticed that new LCD's for the T2i can be bought on eBay for $75 (give or take). I also found at least one video on YouTube where a guy demonstrates removing the back cover of the camera (not too difficult as long as you keep track of the tiny screws). Once the back cover is off, it appears that the LCD is simply attached to the main camera circuit board with a ribbon cable.

Of course, I could be overlooking something...but it looks relatively straightforward. Given that Canon will charge me hundreds of dollars to replace it, I'm inclined to give it a go myself.

Anyone else done this?

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Anyone ever tried replacing their own LCD?

If you do remember to video it for others, as I am sure you are or will not be the only one that needs to change the LCD.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Major Player

It still surprises me how many people have already done this sort of thing and shared their experience on YouTube. Not sure I would be brave enough myself.

Google
Old December 29th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just following up: I successfully replaced the LCD on my Canon T2i today. Bought an identical replacement (made by Sony, incidentally---as was the stock LCD) on eBay for $30. And I'm happy to report that it was easy! Took me about 25 minutes total, and the new one works perfectly.

I thought about getting video of myself doing it, but frankly didn't want to deal with it. Besides, I found a video on YouTube that I watched several times before cracking open my T2i. The vid is in German...but it gave me the confidence to do it. I only referred to the videos once or twice during the repair to make sure I was on the right track...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVS5k9OKRtw

My only advice (which seems like common sense, even though the person in the video didn't do it) is keep track of where all the tiny screws go. I just placed them all on the table in front of me, arranged how they go into the camera.

So if anyone else needs to do this, I strongly recommend doing it yourself. (And it's kinda cool to see what's inside your Canon!) I've got to assume replacing an LCD on a D7 or D5 is probably just as easy.

If you want to give it a go and have questions, just drop me an email or post up here.

Scott

Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thx for sharing, I think in case the lcd screen is damaged and if the warranty doesn't cover it a repair by Sony would cost too much considering the low price of a t2I and you would be better of just buying a new body, but seeing the video and knowing how cheap the lcd replacement is I would do the repair myself as well. Tip for anyone watching the video, mute the sound. :D
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Well done you.
Old January 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Inner Circle

A couple tricks for you DIY guys - make sure you work on a soft surface (like a microfiber cloth) so you don't scratch things up, work in a shallow cookie tray so little parts can't wander off too far, and have a still camera handy to take shots as you disassemble - if you DO get "into trouble" you can review the pictures!

It's also a good idea to pick up a kit of tools designed to pry open small electronics and the special connectors you typically find in modern electronics, at least if you're going to do this sort of thing very often!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Major Player

Tools are so incredibly cheap nowadays. A pair of mini snips cost us £40 when I was still working. You get a complete set of mini snips/pliere etc for $15 now.

Jegs Performance Products W1132 Mini Plier Set | eBay

A Jeweler's screwdriver set for $20

Precision Mini Jeweler's Screwdriver Set Watch Glasses | eBay

There's no reason not to be properly equiped for the job, and it makes all the difference.

Unfortunately I'd need to add one of these to my list. This one actually shows someone working on a camera!

Craftsman Handsfree Headband Head Magnifier Magnifying Glass Lens LED Optivisor | eBay

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD