DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Is my workflow all wrong???? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/512060-my-workflow-all-wrong.html)

Stephen J. Williams November 12th, 2012 02:41 PM

Is my workflow all wrong????

I wonder why when I watch videos on vimeo from the same camera, they have a much better quality then what I'm ending up with. Yes I know lenses matter....

I use two T2i and one T3i's, and as of late, I have not been happy with the way my footage has been coming out.

Does anyone see anything wrong with the workflow?

Shot at 24p
converted with streamclip to prores422
edited in FCP
exported as H.264

I am using a flat profile, which I plan on switching back to standard.

Here's an example...
[

steve

Burk Webb November 12th, 2012 03:03 PM

Re: Is my workflow all wrong????

The video looks like it is squeezed to me - is that an upload error?

Stephen J. Williams November 12th, 2012 03:08 PM

Yeah it was squeezed, bad example.. I threw another one up there instead.

Burk Webb November 12th, 2012 03:19 PM

Thanks, that looks about right....

Checked it out, looks fine to me. Is there something specific that you think your not nailing?

I agree that Technicolor Cinestyle can be a bit of a bit of a bugger. I've gone back to using the "Stu Maschwitz" flat Neutral settings for most stuff. Cinestyle was cool for some things but I was having issues with noise.

Stephen J. Williams November 12th, 2012 03:25 PM

you know that might be just it... the noise is something that I noticed. I'm wasn't a huge fan of the SD picture profile, but I'm thinking of switching back. I'm not the best colorist to begin with, so have a picture profile that gives you grading flexibility, just isn't a "must" for me.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Victor Nguyen November 12th, 2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 1763264)
you know that might be just it... the noise is something that I noticed. I'm wasn't a huge fan of the SD picture profile, but I'm thinking of switching back. I'm not the best colorist to begin with, so have a picture profile that gives you grading flexibility, just isn't a "must" for me.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think Cine Style just gives more bit to highlights and shadows so that you can retain more information there. However, 8 bit is still 8 bit and there are probably less bit in midtone. So in the end, it doesn't really give you that much grading flexibility because your midtone is probably easier to crack when grading.

Jon Fairhurst November 13th, 2012 05:37 PM

It all depends on context. If you're shooting mid tone skin in a gray room with flat lighting, stay away from CineStyle. Go with Neutral or some other style that maintains good mid-tones.

However, if you're shooting a dark skinned person backlit on a sunny day (which gives deep shadows and very bright reflections from the skin), definitely go with CineStyle or some other very flat profile. When the most important content in the image is very dark and very light, CineStyle can be a lifesaver.

It all depends on the context.