EOS M thread - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 12th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: EOS M thread

Rob, I expect your older glass to work a treat. AF speed is moot with manual glass. :)

I have the "pro" version of the Rode Videomic, which has gain. That's the key. You should be golden with the MixPre and an adapter cable. Just keep the cable short to minimize RF pickup.

The Rode VMP won't get good sound from six feet, but it has served me well for tradeshow interviews. In the past, I've used a 5D2 with a 35mm lens (hey, like the 22mm crop lens!) on a monopod at CES, NAB, and LightFair. Unlike a formal interview, a tradeshow interview needs to be up close so people don't walk in front of the camera. And the wider lens gets tradeshow eyecandy and can easily tilt down to see a product in the hand. With that setup, the mic is only about 2-3 feet from the subject. Tradeshow floors are so noisy that nobody expects perfect sound anyway.

I have a friend who shot news for a decade or more. When he needed to do a solo interview, he'd go wide with the lens, get close to the subject, pull the mic from the holder, and hold it as close as possible to the subject with his left hand while operating the camera with his right. At tradeshows, I'm using a similar approach, but with too short a cable to hold the mic in the left hand.

FWIW, my other key tool is a monopod. I put it on the floor for a fixed interview, tuck it in my belt when I want to act as a human tripod, and hold it at the balance point when walking like it's a faux stabilizer. The result is "lively", so you are aware of the human behind the camera, but it's well controlled compared to handholding these things.

Regarding NDs, I mainly use a 3 stop and apply a circular polarizer as well for another two. That gets me close. I'd like to get an additional 6 stop ND for smooth timelapses. But for the M, a fader-type makes a lot of sense. I can adjust things quickly with buttons on the 5D2 and it has such low noise that I can over-stop the light and compensate with a higher ISO when needed. The M lacks buttons, has somewhat more noise, and doesn't offer 1/3 stop ISOs, so a fader would likely nail exposure faster and better than you can with a fixed ND.

Looking forward to the new, little camera!
Old July 13th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Good news and bad news (for me)...

The good news is that I received the Fotodiox adapter yesterday.

The bad news is that they sent me the basic one without the electronic connections and tripod mount.

Their shipping was quick. Hopefully, their customer service is also efficient. FWIW, the basic version mounts to my EOS lenses very solidly with no play at all, as far as I can sense.
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Good news and bad news (for me)...

The good news is that I received the Fotodiox adapter yesterday.

The bad news is that they sent me the basic one without the electronic connections and tripod mount.

Their shipping was quick. Hopefully, their customer service is also efficient. FWIW, the basic version mounts to my EOS lenses very solidly with no play at all, as far as I can sense.
I picked up a used Canon adapter a while back, I think it was from Adorama. The don't have anymore but there seem to be quite a few on ebay.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #19
Major Player

Hey Jon,
I am also interested in the Fotodiox EOS EF to EOS-M adapter for my EOS M camera that I should get delivery on this Friday. What is the exact model number of the adapter and a link to it?

Alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #20
Inner Circle

This is the one I ordered and would recommend:

Pro Lens Adapter, Canon EOS Mount Lens to Canon EOS-M Mount Camera Automatic Lens Mount Adapter - with Full Automated Functions

This is the one I received, which doesn't include the electronic contacts:

Fotodiox Canon EOS Mount Lens to Canon EOS-M Mount Camera Lens Mount Adapter

I contacted them today and am waiting for a response...
Old July 15th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #21
Major Player

thanx Jon. Do you mind telling me how much it cost you and where you bought it?

Alex
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I purchased directly from the web link shown for $69.95. Shipping was like five bucks and it arrived in two days on the west coast.
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #23
Major Player

thanx Jon. I appreciate the info. Keep us informed here when you get your replacement.

alex

Last edited by Alex Anderson; July 15th, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old July 15th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Will do.

BTW, the Canon version costs $189 and is backordered by a week or two. That made the Fotodiox purchase feel painless by comparison. :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883406-REG/Canon_6098b002_EF_M_Lens_Adapter_Kit.html
I have a Nikon to EOS pro-version adapter from Fotodiox and it was of nice quality. If anything, you get more for your money from them today than back in 2009 when I bought that adapter...
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #25
Major Player

Jon,
I forgot to ask you, that Fotodiox adapter is for Canon EF and EF-S lenses to mount on the EOS M camera, correct? Just double checking cus it only says EOS lenses. I just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up. I am aware of what the Canon one costs. :-)

Alex
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #26
Major Player

i have been playing with my new-to-me canon eos-m.

since i am not a dslr shooter, i really need to spend a moment understanding this camera, its menus and its capabilities.

that said, i have taken several stills and it does a nice job with raw and jpegs.

my camera shipped with the firmware update 2.0.2.

the autofocus is as quick and accurate as any still camera i have used.

more to come.

ymmv

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions
nyc
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Alex,

I assume that it will take EF-S lenses. I'd be really surprised if it didn't. I can't test it though. I don't own or have access to any EF-S lenses.

Rob,

Glad to hear that the AF works quickly and accurately. I'll be able to compare it to the 5D2, which has dedicated focus points but isn't known have the fastest AF among DSLRs. Hopefully, the capacitative touchscreen feels good. Touchscreens that respond poorly can be frustrating but I hear that this one is good and that the menus are pretty intuitive.

One feature I really like is that it has a max ISO setting for auto modes. Sometimes I wan't the camera to take care of the exposure (at least for stills), but I don't want it to go crazy with a high ISO.
Old July 15th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #28
Major Player

Jon, I also meant EF lenses. I guess my confusion is that EOS means all the lenses, EF and EFS. I just want to make sure I ordered the correct adapter. I plan on using both EF and EFS lenses in the future with this EOS M camera. Probably the 35mm f/1.4 so I can do very low light interviews for doc work.
Alex
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Alex,

I assume that it will take EF-S lenses. I'd be really surprised if it didn't. I can't test it though. I don't own or have access to any EF-S lenses.
Yes, the adapter works with EF-S lenses. I use the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8.

Also, I use a Z-Finder Pro for video (with the stick-on adapter); and usually the 22mm f/2 M lens, which is a nice combination. I've tried autofocus with 2.0.2 firmware for video, and I would say it is not good enough for that. Autofocus is very good for stills, but still not there for video. I'm hoping the next M will have the new autofocus from the 70D.

The M video quality is pretty good, but not up to the 5DIII. I see some aliasing now and then, similar to the 5DII. But for most work it is very good, and especially as a small B camera.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #30
Major Player

Of course, it's not a MKiii. That's a full frame sensor. The M is a APS-C. It's a 7D in disguise.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD