Which canon should I get at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 27th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which canon should I get

I've narrowed it down to 3 models in my price range

1) t3i-good price and should do what I want fairly well
2) t4i-more expensive but newer with a couple minor improvements
3) eos m-the main thing I like is the smaller body and seems perfect for car mounting and tight spaces. Would prob cost me the most up front with the adapter and no view finder or movable lcd.

Is the m worth it for the size or does it sound like more of a pain. I think I'll like the small form factor but I haven't used it. I have used the t3i and liked it.
Mike Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Which canon should I get

t3i - tamron 17-50 VC II, my first setup and was really impressed.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Tourist

I second that, get the T3i :) It is lightweight, has a swivel screen, can run Magic Lantern, and has one great feature that no other Canon DSLR has: the 3x crop mode. This feature will turn your Tamron 17-50 into a 17-150 f2.8 zoom lens!

As a second lens I can really recommend the nifty fifty 50mm f1.8 for great shallow depth of field and low light performance. With these two lenses you'll be able to cover most of your video needs.
G.H. Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Are you still looking? I have a T3i for sale. :)
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Trustee

Here is what a T3i shooting in faithful looks like. If price is an issue, go grab the Canon 50mm f/1.8 for $108 as your first prime lens for shooting in low light.

Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Here's mine t3i + Canon 17-55mm F2.8. Steadycam and elder shoots were with Tokina 11-16mm F2.8

Old March 6th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Taky, that was really well shot. The vignette was a little distracting, though. did you add that in post, or is it from the lens or lens/variable nd combo? i am annoyed with my 24-105/ 77mm singh ray VND combo at the wide end. vignette is only eliminated at about 35mm... a lot of $ to pay for a filter that reduces your lens usability!
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Mike - I'm a former

T2i

owner, and I've shot with the

T4i

. Of the three cameras you've listed, I would get the

T4i

for its autofocus and longer uninterrupted video recording length (30 minutes for the

T4i

vs. 12 minutes for the

T3i

).

Unless you absolutely need the smaller size, I would stay away from the

(see The Camera Store review here:

DSLRs with viewfinders that blank out for video are bad enough, but it's difficult to justify a mirrorless camera at this price with no viewfinder at all.

And yes, the crop mode on the T3i is great (I have it on my Panasonic GH2 and

GH3

), but for me, a video camera with a 12 minute continuous video recording length limit and no video autofocus is not a video camera, it is a video clip camera.

If the

T4i

had been available when I was starting out, I might still be a Canon guy.

You can get a new T4i body with warranty from a 99.5% feedback USA seller on eBay for $564 (3 left at this price).

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
Taky, that was really well shot. The vignette was a little distracting, though. did you add that in post, or is it from the lens or lens/variable nd combo? i am annoyed with my 24-105/ 77mm singh ray VND combo at the wide end. vignette is only eliminated at about 35mm... a lot of $ to pay for a filter that reduces your lens usability!
Thanks Brian, the vignette is a layer I added in lot. Its very noticeable when viewing in a small playback window. But when it goes fullscreen or watch on TV, its not that noticeable. But I will take your advise to decrease the tranparency.
Old March 6th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Bill, its funny because I'm the opposite. Back in 2010 when I want to jump into DSLR, I bought GH1. However, that's the time Panasonic released a new firmware with the same version but not hacakbe (GH13). Thus, instead of buying 3 GH1and panny lenses, I bought 3 t2i and now all Canon glasses. To me its Panasonic short vision (blocking GH13) force me to a canon customer.

Now now matter how good GH3 is, its difficult to go Lanny and have to buy all new lenses.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD