Excited about 70D? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: Excited about 70D?

The specs show the 70D as having *slightly* better dynamic range and low light performance than a T3i, which we also have, though the focus help is nice. Yes, the focus motor is audible, but so is all other usual handling noise. It's why we use pocket recorders for our primary sound.

If you're going to compare the 70D with the Mark 3, it's no contest. Mark 3 for MUCH better. Full frame means about 2 stops better of light; low light ISO noise for the mark iii rates 2200 ISO compares to 900 ISO on the 70D. That's all apart from Moire/Aliasing. Sure, in places with good light, the difference isn't huge, but when shooting weddings, how often does the light *stay* good. Or all I need is to work one wedding with bad light to be royally screwed when I don't have a full frame camera.

The four things I like about the 70D are the swing out screen; auto-focus tracking; price; built in continuous shooting beyond the usual 12 minutes. I'd recommend it for someone looking at Prosumer level cameras. For instance, we're upgrading our T3is to 70Ds (the 70D also has Kelvin white balancing), but will ALSO have two 5d Mark ii's because of their low light performance.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I have a 5DII and a 7D. Bought the 70D solely for the AF tracking in video. I currently use a XA20 for equestrian sports but if the 70D can track focus like a camcorder and give me shallow DOF, I will be able to provide something my customers have never seen before.

Bob
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
I will be able to provide something my customers have never seen before.
Like moire, noise and a soft image? Sorry, couldn't resist. :) Canon has made improvements to the 70d but they are deliberately holding back in favour of their much more expensive camera's. Imagewise not much has changed over the past years, just improvements on functionality.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #34
New Boot

I dont find it to be that much of an update, for me to want to go from 60D. It rather go even higher to the 5D Mark type. But its a fun update and nice for those that want to upgrade from the 600 series.
Linn Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #35
Regular Crew

My 70D finally arrived on Tuesday. I haven't taken a single still photo with it yet. Having a good time testing/learning the video functions. In my opinion the AF alone made this camera worth buying. I am shooting shallow DOF AF of moving subjects and it is tracking very nicely. I'm only using the 18-135 STM kit lens right now but I will be shooting with some of my other glass soon. I made a custom top handle for it this morning.

Top handle for 70D by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #36
Trustee

Most interesting for us will be using it as a 4th camera at ceremonies and during speeches, scanning the guests for faces, tap to focus, and get your shot.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #37
Trustee

it went back to the store next day,
poor low light and soft image,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
Most interesting for us will be using it as a 4th camera at ceremonies and during speeches, scanning the guests for faces, tap to focus, and get your shot.
i'm doing this with GH2 and Rokinon 85mm f1.4, it does fantastic job @170mm even wide open, and when there is enough light it even looks better than 5D mark 3

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD