Excited about 70D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Excited about 70D?

I'm not really so sure I am excited to pay $1200 for features like wifi and GPS on my video camera. I need performance not more gadgets that I have to figure out how to use. Not trying to rant..but I am not sure if I want to wait or just buy a 60D.

Thoughts?
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Excited about 70D?

autofocus.. functional autofocus for video? come on, thats the holy grail for DSLRs
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

For info about the new EOS 70D, see the official press release here:

Canon USA Introduces EOS 70D at DV Info Net

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Palanza View Post
autofocus.. functional autofocus for video? come on, thats the holy grail for DSLRs
I guess I am an old stick in the mud.
I'm pretty impressed with today's autofocus for still shots.
I can certainly see face-tracking autofocus for consumer video as a desirable function.
And not a big leap from there to shooting for events, weddings, and news coverage, I guess.
But what about intentional creation of the image? So many people are into dSLR video for the image quality at relatively low cost, won't autofocus be degrading of a thoughtful approach to image design?
I think of autofocus as quick and dirty, there's certainly a place for it, but "holy grail" of dSLRs?

I certainly won't be trading in my 60D to get GPS and Wifi...
Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
They're a little late. I sold my T2i two years ago and bought a GH2, followed by a GH3, for functional video autofocus (and functional video viewfinders, which Canon can't compete with until they give up on the old reflex mirror). :)
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Major Player

One of the biggest missing feature of shooting video with a DSLR is autofocus. There are times when you can't be behind the camera and you need it to run without you.
Video quality is high enough across the board, so is low light sensitivity, resolution.. all that is missing at this point is functional autofocus. There are plenty of times I'm working solo with several DSLR's and its impossible to do certain things due to autofocus. It would be certainly amazing for me, at least.
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Do we know anything about its HDMI output? Is it "clean"?
Mark Morreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
...There are plenty of times I'm working solo with several DSLR's and its impossible to do certain things due to autofocus. It would be certainly amazing for me, at least.
Weddings? I can see how *good* autofocus would be very helpful when using unmanned cams.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Trustee

My immediate reaction is I want one although I will try and wait to see how the first round of delivered cameras do. For video work I think it will be a very useful to have the same angle of view as the new 4K Blackmagic camera and other cameras which are using the similar sized sensor.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Regular Crew

does autofocus functions...do they work with any lens or just the new ones that have some sort of focus new deal? haven't read a lot about those since I don't own a t4i or new one..still on my 5d mark II...but will like to upgrade soon...low light, autofocus will be fun.

thanks.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Video autofocus would seem to only be possible with the new STM lenses, there are only two so far: 40mm pancake prime and an 18-135mm f3.5-f5.6 zoom.

I think these are only for crop-sensor APS-C cameras, not full-frame.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:30 PM   #12
New Boot

Autofocus doesn't really matter when you use 30 year old manual lenses.

The autofocus works on 2 lenses. Neither of which are very appealing to me, although the 40mm is pretty cool.

No, I don't really think I'm that excited for this.

I might actually be going d7100
Kevin Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Video autofocus would seem to only be possible with the new STM lenses, there are only two so far: 40mm pancake prime and an 18-135mm f3.5-f5.6 zoom.

Isn’t the ‘STM’ really about a quieter autofocus motor that won’t be picked up with onboard sound, etc. – or isn’t that ballpark? In the least the 70D has an external mic input that I would presume assists to isolate sound recording if external sound recording isn’t used?

I haven’t seen anything about it only working with the new STM lenses. Granted, I’ve only recently been taking a closer look at the specifics of DSLR video and noticed reviews critiquing autofocus (specifically with the STM technology) not being quite ‘there’ yet. Showing examples of it searching for focus, etc.

Until now possibly? I might believe there would be more enthusiasm on this board for this.
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:48 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post

If it really is only STM lenses that work then it's really disappointing to me. I have several £1000s of L lenses and I certainly don't want to be forced to buy more, and inferior, STM lenses.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I just re-read the various insta-reviews based on Canon's press releases, and it's unclear whether their new autofocus tech will or won't work with non-STM glass during video shooting.

No doubt there will be some hands-on reviews that clarify this soon. The basis for my previous assumption was the upcoming firmware release for the C100 that will do autofocus during shooting... with STM glass, and the T5i. But this is new AF tech in the 70D, as well there is a new all-I recording codec.

Canon USA Introduces EOS 70D at DV Info Net

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD