T3i phantom power at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #1
Major Player

T3i phantom power

Does the T3i provide power to external mics that can use it when they are plugged into the mic input? And, can someone confirm that we can use a 3.5 stereo Y adapter to get two mics in with one going to the left channel and one to the right channel? The T3i manual does not say anything about this as far as I know. I am aware of other ways to do audio with a double system. I just want to know if I can get two lavs powered from the camera and recorded on two separate channels, L/R.

Alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: T3i phantom power

You should not be recording directly into any Canon DSLR. There is hiss on the track no matter what you do.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Gary,
You forgot to answer my questions. Do you know if if the T3i provides power to the mics thru it's mic input?
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Alex: I cannot speak to the T3i because I only own the 5D MK 3 and the 60D. But I can tell you neither of them have phantom power, and my guess is the T3i doesn't, either.

As far as recording to the camera is concerned, I disagree with Gary. I record interview audio all the time to my MK3s and I have tuned the hiss out by lowering the audio gain (in manual mode) to just a notch or two over the lowest setting and controlling the input from my wireless mics. Even with studio headphones on while recording and editing, I do not hear any hiss. But I backup my audio with a Sony audio recorder, just in case. You never know.

Obviously, the MK 3 is my favorite for recording audio because it has a headphone-out jack. I don't use Magic Lantern.

Now, if you're recording audio for a feature film or serious documentary, you really need a soundie and crew to record audio separately. You'd be asking for trouble if you recorded to a camera, even with a $60K camera that has XLR inputs and phantom power.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Major Player

thank you Charles. I appreciate your input.

Alex
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Major Player

No worries. And I forgot to mention I have used a Y cable to input two separate wireless mics, but I have not used two stereo sources. Two mono inputs work fine.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Major Player

"No worries. And I forgot to mention I have used a Y cable to input two separate wireless mics, but I have not used two stereo sources. Two mono inputs work fine."

charles-

if i may ask:

the two mono inputs were placed on both audio tracks as mixed not separate tracks, right?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions
nyc
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
I record interview audio all the time to my MK3s and I have tuned the hiss out by lowering the audio gain (in manual mode) to just a notch or two over the lowest setting and controlling the input from my wireless mics.
I must have confused some clips because I went back to an old project that I used the Sescom cable from my DR-100, and you're right, the hiss is about the same as on the Tascam track, so I stand corrected.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Major Player

Correct. The tracks were mixed. Sorry I din't make that clear.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD