DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   will the M do 1080p30 RAW w/ML? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/518197-will-m-do-1080p30-raw-w-ml.html)

Alex Anderson August 9th, 2013 12:03 AM

will the M do 1080p30 RAW w/ML?

Do you think the M will ever be able to do full HD 1080p30 using ML and if so, will it need a card that is rated at 90MB/s? I have a Komputerbay card now rated at 60MB/s. Will that make it to full HD on the M? I am wondering if I should treturn this card for a higher write speed for the ZM. But if it can't reach full HD, I might as well keep this card. My window on th return is getting small now.

I am still trying to figure out all the variables for shooting and posting RAW from the M. Mark R did some very nice stuff so far, but I see it is not full HD. Maybe only the 5DM3 will be capable??

Alex

Jon Fairhurst August 9th, 2013 10:51 AM

Re: will the M do 1080p30 RAW w/ML?

1080p30? I don't think so. On the 5D2, we aren't getting that using a very fast CF card. SD cards simply aren't as fast.

That said, we haven't found the lack of true 1080p to be a problem. We're shooting green screen, so we generally re-size everything. Even so, we end up softening the images and adding diffusion to get them to match Hollywood backgrounds. Even scaled up a bit, they're too sharp!

Of course, it depends on your goals. If you're making advertisements for luxury lace and jewels, then you want things to be as crisp and sharp as possible. (Rent an EPIC.) But for narrative works, sharpness is often overrated.

Of course, I'm talking about producing for HD displays. When UHD screens become prevalent, 720p will start to look quite soft.

Alex Anderson August 9th, 2013 11:36 AM

Re: will the M do 1080p30 RAW w/ML?

Thanx Jon. I also found my answers reading a post from mixer2 on the ML forum. The bottleneck is the max speed the camera writes to the SD card.

"non crop with max resolution and 2.39 aspect ratio is 1728x436.
the maximum continuous record speed you can get with eos m is ~35-36mb/s. and you'll get that speed with all fast sd cards, since the sd controller is much slower than the max write speeds of high speed sd cards.
if you want to be sure that the video doesn't stop even for longer recordings you imho shouldn't record above 34mb/s, even if it tells you that continuous recording works.
my prefered settings are: 1408x600 (2.35:1) in crop mode at 23.98fps (no fps override since it isn't needed in crop mode) 33,7mb/s and i use 32gb sandisk extreme 45mb/s card.

Alex

Mark Rosenzweig August 13th, 2013 07:55 PM

No, but you can do 1280 x 720 at 24fps

Here is an example:

Shot in RAW, in crop mode. You get less aliasing and moire, better color (no 4:2:0 sampling) and the ability to edit (grade) digitally with no re-compression loss.