DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Canon t3i or t5i for video? (B camera) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/518408-canon-t3i-t5i-video-b-camera.html)

Silas Barker August 19th, 2013 02:51 PM

Canon t3i or t5i for video? (B camera)

I am thinking about getting a second camera to go with my Canon 5dMarkiii. Are there major differences between the t3i and t5i?

I'll be using the camera for:
- Backup / 2nd camera
- For personal hiking / remote trips where I want a lower cost camera instead of my main one on me
- Mainly for video, but for photos sometimes too.

Robert Benda August 19th, 2013 04:18 PM

Re: Canon t3i or t5i for video? (B camera)

The internals, the processor, is not noticeably different, though the t3i scored *slightly* better on f/stop, iso noise, and dynamic range, but the t5i has a touch screen and built in HDR.

The T3i is $250 cheaper ($500 vs $750)

Frustrating on both is the ISO (100/200 etc. instead of 160/320) but to match your mark 3, you'll have your ISO higher anyway. And neither lets you set the white balance color temp directly.

Personally, I love Magic Lantern, and use it on the T3i (we have 2). Not sure on how it does on the T5i, though we'll be selling ours and upgrading to the 70D if it's as promised.

Bill Bruner August 19th, 2013 07:27 PM

Silas - The only real differences between the T3i and T5i for video straight out of the box are:

a) the T5i has video autofocus (the T3i does not),

b) the T5i has a touch screen (the T3i does not),

c) theT5i has a 30 minute continuous video clip length (the T3i has the old 12 minute limit)

That said, if you're going to take the camera on hikes, I recommend the world's smallest and lightest DSLR, the Canon SL1.

It weighs 29% less than the T3i and 5D Mark III.

A nice review:

And a nice test video from Chad Soriano:

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Silas Barker August 20th, 2013 02:50 PM

Thanks for the information guys!

The Sl1 looks interesting as well. I know the T3/4/5i are more popular so I was not aware of the SL1.

The specs look similar too.

Does anyone know how well footage from either the T5I or SL1 cuts with the 5Diii?

I know they have aliasing. Also, the auto focusing on the t5i looks interesting even though I would probably never use it on a professional shoot.

Robert Benda August 20th, 2013 03:37 PM

The biggest matching issue is the color temp/white balance; and the ISO difference. As long as you're aware of it, you'll be able to minimize it.

We use a Mark ii with our T3is and either use presets (sunlight/tungsten) to match, or a gray card. I don't know how it is on the T5i, but I'll admit, I hate the button layout on the T3i for this compared to the Mark ii. There's an extra step to get to white balance.

For the ISO difference from crop factor and full frame, we tend to put the T3i closer to the subject, and find that helps. Example, the T3i's are in the side aisles, shooting the B&G's faces in close-up for the vows, while the Mark ii is centered in the rear for the wider shot.

Jeremiah Rickert August 20th, 2013 08:55 PM

The canon 70D coming out in a couple months sounds pretty good, too, especially if their claims about the new auto-focusing hold up.

Linn Jones September 13th, 2013 05:14 PM

Those a both great cameras as the second one. I used to have the 550D before upgrading to 60D, and the quality is great. I think that 60D is better in lowlight but otherwise I was happy with it. Here is a video I made, just a quick one in low light to test out when I first got it a few years back:

- Cutness warning on this one.

Donald McPherson September 14th, 2013 09:16 AM

If you are prepared to put Tragic yes Tragic lantern on the T3i then you will get 30 minutes continues.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1232870

Andrew Maclaurin September 27th, 2013 10:45 AM

I have the t5i and the 7d. The 7d is slightly more flexible in difficult lighting due to having more ISOs to choose from but the t5i is way more comfortable to use. The flip-out touch screen is great and makes adjustments quick to do. It weighs a lot less than a 7d (and I'd imagine a lot less than a 5diii). It seems a lot less prone to over heating than a 7d (no idea how the t2i and t3i fair). I think the biggest thing is the flexibility of the flip-out touchscreen LCD. It makes shooting in certain situations much easier and the 30 mins shooting time is useful too.
I prefer it to my 7d and have decided to sell the 7d. I'm going to check out the 70d as it might have the best of the 7d and t5i, but if it doesn't, then I'll stick with the t5i for now.